Why is my paint roller sliding at times?

+17

I hope I can explain this correctly! I'm in the process of painting my kitchen cabinets. All is going well so far except for this annoying issue with my paint roller. At times, it will not roll smoothly, and instead it will start sliding and sometimes skidding. It’s incredibly frustrating! It seems to happen mostly when I am doing the frame of the cabinet or a smaller surface. I have tried holding the roller at different angles, less paint on the roller, changing speed of rolling, and it keeps happening. I also noticed it's more on the side of the roller not near the handle. I have attached a picture of the rollers I am currently using. I love the finish they are giving so far but this sliding thing is driving me nuts. I have tried a different roller frame and brand new paint roller but it is still happening. I also tried just a cheaper high density foam roller and that one isn’t doing the sliding thing, but I really hate the way it is applying the paint so I don’t want to keep using it. I should mention I’m using BM advance and used BIN primer and it has done this with both paints. Please help! It’s taking this project way longer than it already is dealing with the sliding issue.

q why is my paint roller sliding at times
  • Kristin Kristin on Mar 04, 2021

Also should mention I cleaned, sanded all surfaces before applying primer and sanded between coats of primer.

• GrandmasHouseDIY GrandmasHouseDIY on Mar 04, 2021

Hi Kristin, yep I've had that happen to me too and it can be real annoying. The problem is the surface you're applying the roller too is so smooth its not catching on the nap of the roller enough to actually get it to turn. I've found this usually happens when I get paint on the rolling part of the roller and a full cleaning can REALLY help. Also, what helps is not to not use much paint but just a little so the roller itself isn't so slippery. I hope that helps!

• Vimarhonor Vimarhonor on Mar 04, 2021

Hello. What a frustrating situation. I would think would be the combination of the slick smooth roller finish and the hand pressure applied. Hope you find the answer here.

• Dee Dee on Mar 04, 2021

You may have made the cabinets too slick. You are using the proper rollers for cabinets. I love those rollers. Maybe a light sanding with 300+ grit would help. I know that there are primers with grippers in them, that might be another solution. Try cleaning your roller more often, so that it does not accumulate paint. Good luck and let us know the solution, very frustrating.

• Redcatcec Redcatcec on Mar 04, 2021

Might be too much paint on the roller, surface is too slick, or too much pressure on the roller-that could force it to snowplow.

• Kathy Gunter Law Kathy Gunter Law on Mar 04, 2021

Additionally, I have noticed sometimes I don't apply pressure evenly which causing mine to slide. I purchased a higher end roller holder that has a cushioned grip which made it much better.

• FrugalFamilyTimes.com FrugalFamilyTimes.com on Mar 04, 2021

I find that happens if I have too much paint on my roller. Or if extra paint is making the roller part bind.

• Deb K Deb K on Mar 04, 2021

Hello, you may have too much pint on the roller, or you may be pushing too hard, with will cause a slide.

• Mogie Mogie on Mar 05, 2021

I know from my early painting attempts that this happened to me when I tried to put to much paint on or not take enough paint off the roller.

• Betsy Betsy on Mar 05, 2021

Hi Kristin: A light touch is needed and, it makes for a better coverage of the paint. If you push too hard, you can cause the paint to drip, and it will be thick in some places and thin in others, so try to use a light touch.

• You might have too much paint on the roller, the cover might not be the right fit for the roller, or you could even be applying too much pressure. Lots of reasons for this.

• William William on Mar 05, 2021

All of the above. If your doing small areas like the frame or smaller areas only part of the roller is actually being used causing it to slide.

• Simple Nature Decor Simple Nature Decor on Mar 06, 2021

Here you go

• Annie Annie on Mar 07, 2021

This happens to me when I apply too much pressure. Especially if you are folling on a narrow edge.. very light pressure may help

• Kristin Kristin on Mar 07, 2021

Thank you all for the advice! It definitely made a difference changing up pressure. I finally finished the first section I’ve been working on. I’ll post a pic!

• Dee Dee on Mar 07, 2021

Wow your finished cabinet looks fantastic.

• Morgan McBride Morgan McBride on Mar 09, 2021

Is there maybe dried paint inside gunking it up

• Katrina Katrina on Mar 11, 2021

I would use a dense foam roller for this project the napped rollers are for emulsion/latex type paint. The harder the better especially when doing narrow edges so that you don't get ridges in them.