Boho Style Planter Vase (Or Candle) Using Bowls, Rope & A Transfer

$8

I love creating my own home decor, especially since I need a variety of different styles when it comes to staging my refinished furniture pieces. And let's face it, stylish and trendy home decor is not cheap!

This project is easy to make, inexpensive and can be made in so many different ways and styles. I'll list some different examples at the end of the tutorial 😁

*Time listed includes the dry time, actual work time is about an hour

*Cost is based off of the amount of product used, not the initial cost of the product itself

* At the end of this tutorial, I've included a link to the tutorial for the cement looking beads that I used to decorate this vase with

List of items needed for this project -

•2 bowls of any size you'd like with flat bottoms (I used white ceramic cereal bowls from the dollar store)

• Sisal Rope, or rope of your choice (Amazon has great prices)

• e6000 Glue

• Hot Glue Gun and Sticks

• Redesign With Prima "Folk I" Decor Transfer (for the design on the top bowl)

• Optional candle wax or large candle

First thing that you want to do is wash your bowls and allow to dry.

Then, we need to glue them together.

Take your e600 and cover the outter bottom of one of the bowls. You can also add a bit of hot glue for an instant hold while the e6000 is drying

Then put the other bowl on top. Make sure it's placed evenly

Now, grab your transfer. I used Redesign With Prima's "Folk I" decor transfer since I was going for a mudcloth designed boho look.

Cut out the section that you'd like to use

Make sure it will fit the area nicely

Peel off the white backing

*Be careful once the backing is removed. The design is extremely sticky and will stick to anything it comes into contact with.

Hovering over the bowl, position it where you'd like, and then press just the middle to the bowl

Since the bowl has curves, you need to work on one section at a time. As I was sticking one side to the bowl, I made sure the other side was not touching the bowl.

Transfers stick very well to dishware. I didn't even need to use the tool included with the teansfer (wood stick) to adhere the design, it adhered well just by rubbing over it with my finger. But, use the tool if needed to get it to adhere properly.

Then, slowly lift up the clear protective layer on the side that you just adhered.

If at any point, part of the transfer didn't adhere, place it directly back down and go over it again until it does adhere completely

Now, press down the other side and repeat the steps.

*Applying transfers to rounded surfaces is tricky, so If you've never used a transfer before, I do recommend using one on a flat surface first so that you can understand how they work.

I continued on applying pieces of the transfer to the entire top bowl

Now you can move onto the rope.

I get large spools of sisal rope from Amazon. It's the exact look that I'm looking for and works for many different projects.

Make sure your glue gun is nice and hot and that you have extra glue sticks on hand

Place a small dab of hot glue on the very bottom of the bottom bowl. This will be the "back" of our decor piece.

Place the end of the rope over the glue spot

Working in small sections, apply a line of glue along the very bottom of the bowl, then press the rope onto it

Continue all around the bowl then moving slightly up to butt the rope up right next to the piece you just adhered

Continue the process all the way around and until you get to the space where the 2 bowls meet. Cut the rope so that the end is in the same side as the beginning end (the back of the decor piece)

Apply a good amount of glue to hold that end into place

Then decorate it and enjoy!

I love the way the rope looks with the design above it 😍

Instead of the transfer, try handpainting a design 💖

Paint the bowls with a unique color

Cover both bowls with the rope

You can also turn the decor piece into a 3 wick candle! Just melt down some wax, add the wicks, and enjoy!

Thank you so much for reading!

You can find transfers, moulds, stencils, waxes, paint and so much more in our Etsy shop!

https://www.etsy.com/shop/DeerRunRevamps

To follow us and see even more home decor and furniture, give our Facebook page a like ♥️

https://m.facebook.com/deerrunrevamps/?ref=bookmarks

If you'd like to see how I made the large gray beads, check it out here

[url=https://www.hometalk.com/44396916/how-to-make-concrete-looking-boho-farmhouse-beads-using-clay-paint

15 Home Improvement DIY Ideas You'll Want To Copy This Month
3 Absolutely Adorable Ways To Display Your Plants
Inspirational Ideas for Spring Flowers
Jazz Up Your Bathroom With These 30 Stylish Additions
30 Creative Painting Techniques & Ideas You MUST See
3 Wonderful Ways You Can Upcycle Old Windows
Everything Red For Canada Day

• Linda Vee
    Linda Vee

I really like this project but am confused. Are you using a transfer or a sticker for your design?

• Deer Run Revamps
      Deer Run Revamps

They are called transfers..and a lot of times, they are used for furniture. They are incredibly thin, can't even be felt when running fingers across it, but they are super sticky almost like a sticker.

• Tonda Stewart
    Tonda Stewart

I like the project but I am curious what is wrong with being plain (It will better fit into all decors that way or using predesigned bowls and different colors?

• Lindy
      Lindy

The post may not have been very interesting if it just showed 2 bowls being glued together. Deer Run was just giving you some insight as to what YOU can create-or in your case not create-with the idea. Plain has it's place as well, but the fun is in how you rework the idea to fit your space.

• Lindy
    Lindy

There are many thicknesses of sisal rope to chose from. What size did you use--1/4 inch, 3/8 inch, or ? inch? This would be helpful when ordering on line. Thank you

• DN
    DN

What a great idea! I particularly like the candle! So cool and so cost effective. ❤️

• Sandra L Warren
    Sandra L Warren

Your transfer looks like a face!!