How to remove paint on black faucet?

+17

Paint dripped and dried on a black finished faucet. Most has scrapped off, but there’s one spot where the paint looks smeared on. Any ideas on how I can get it off w/o disturbing the black faucet? Are black faucets a black painted finish?

q how to remove paint on black fauce
  • Redcatcec Redcatcec on Apr 12, 2021

You could try Soft Scrub or Bar Keepers Friend (powder form), or Goof Off. Use a soft rag.

• Kathy Gunter Law Kathy Gunter Law on Apr 12, 2021

White vinegar or rubbing alcohol should take it off. The black isn't painted exactly, I think it's closer to the power coat process. But you want to be careful not to disturb the protective coating that is put on them. Some will say use nail polish remover, which will work but I would be a bit wary of it damaging the coating.

• Dee Dee on Apr 12, 2021

if its latex paint alcohol will remove it

• Lifestyles Homes Lifestyles Homes on Apr 12, 2021

If it's latex house paint Goo Gone (not Goo Off) will safely take it off.

• Try a little olive oil.

• William William on Apr 12, 2021

Rubbing alcohol, Goof Off (Goo Gone is for removing adhesive), mineral spirits.

• Robyn Garner Robyn Garner on Apr 12, 2021

Try using just a damp microfiber cloth. That should take care of it.

• Dee Dee on Apr 12, 2021

Hi You do not want to remove the finish on the faucet, So do not use Alcohol or acetone or goof off. I would use Olive oil. Smear it on and let it stay for about 15 minutes. Then use some more on a microfiber cloth. This should remove the paint without harming the black finish of your faucet.

• Mogie Mogie on Apr 12, 2021
    Avoid and Remove Paint Drips

https://www.familyhandyman.com/project/avoid-and-remove-paint-drips/

• Debi53 Debi53 on Apr 12, 2021

Be careful about using Goof Off. It might damage the finish.

• Betsy Betsy on Apr 13, 2021

Hi Beverly: Try a bit of WD40. Spray it on, let it sit for a few minutes and wipe it off. If the paint is acrylic, it should come right off. You can use a magic eraser, spray some WD40 on it and then wipe the area.

Good luck

• Vimarhonor Vimarhonor on Apr 13, 2021

Hello. If latex acrylic paint— it might need to be soaked off.

I often use a plastic, glass or metal plate for my artistic painting pallette needs. To clean my pallette I put a very wet paper towel on the plate/ tray allow 20-30 minutes and push the loosened acrylic paint film away. No rubbing scraping necessary. Perhaps a saturated cottonball or wet paper towel might be the same solution for you. I would be hesitant to use chemicals, I would suggest to call the manufacturer first before chemicals or any abrasive activity.

• Deb K Deb K on Apr 13, 2021

Hello, you can use acetone or paint thinner to remove that small bit. The faucet is coated in a way that will allow the thinner to be used gently.

• Maura White Maura White on Apr 15, 2021

If it's acrylic, you should just be able to scratch it off with your fingernail. If it's oilbased - maybe a dab or turpentine? Although I'm not sure what that would do to the finish or the handle.

• Simple Nature Decor Simple Nature Decor on Apr 15, 2021

Use krud kutter https://amzn.to/3gf762k

• Kimadrian Kimadrian on Apr 16, 2021

If all else fails you can always paint that with black pain!

• Flipturn Flipturn on Apr 16, 2021

Yes, that's what I am wondering if it may be more expedient to just paint over the damaged area, or purchase a new one?

Check into Kingston Brass brand replacement faucet handles on Amazon.

I noticed there were several black ones.

• Annie Annie on Apr 17, 2021

I would use some hot water and soap and gently scrub with a scotch-brite pad. (Kitchen scrubby)

• You could try Cerama Bryte, but use it carefully and slowly. It's never ever damaged my finishes, but I don't know what your finish is...

• Simple Nature Decor Simple Nature Decor on Apr 19, 2021

I use a product called Krud kutter