Rocking ReDo

4 materials

I'm a trash-to-treasure visionary. Simply put, that means I'll gather and hold on to anything that has potential. It's a problem, and yet...sometimes it really pays off.

This is a Cracker Barrel rocker that one of my tenants left behind when they moved. I asked her permission to take it and she was happy to oblige. You can see by the photos, it appeared to be in pretty bad shape, but it was very heavy, and not a bit wobbly. It sat in this condition on my front porch for the last four years. I finally got around to sprucing it up because I wanted to sell it. After finishing, it looks like I might just be keeping it.

She's a beauty (not!). The seat and back were totally faded and dry, but were in great shape and still strong. The wood looked as bad as the seat. Still, the chair had a lot of character and "potential".

This was a "zero" cost project. I used stains and paints that I had in my stash. For the seat and back, I coated it generously with a rich brown stain that has poly in it. When it dried, it had a built in protective coating. I got so excited after the first few brush strokes to see the difference.

I made sure to get the underside of the seat as well. This is also important when painting the chair. I flipped it in every possible direction to make sure that every nook and cranny was covered. Even though you don't see many of these areas, the paint and stain act as a barrier to the elements that can ruin the finish.

I began painting with a coat of dark grey chalk paint. It made a great primer but without a poly coat, it is not a good finish for outdoor use. I also did not like the flat wood appearance when it was dry.

I had this color exterior paint that matches some trim on my house. The photo makes it look like a medium blue color, but in fact, it is a dark greenish blue with a semi-gloss finish. I have plans for another project for this space, so it has to go - I am hoping it will fit on my deck. I am so happy with the transformation and even if it doesn't work out for my deck, I know I can sell it for a decent amount. Not bad for a free chair and some leftover paint and stain.

Questions on this post

Your question...
  2 questions

Comments

2 of 15 comments
Next