Pool Noodle Headboard

$100

If you've ever shopped for furniture you know things can add up pretty quickly! My best friend recently purchased her first home and wanted to move in with some fresh pieces. We found an upholstered headboard online for $800!! Yikes! After looking at it for a bit, I decided to spend a few bucks and try to make it myself

We picked up some hardboard from Lowes and had it cut to her desired size (totally up to you). We then hit the swimming aisle of Target and got 20 thick pool noodles. They carry two sizes and she preferred the larger ones. Lastly, a quick stop at Hobby Lobby for this yummy black velvet fabric (add 2-3 inches to your board size to determine fabric dimensions). The rest of the supplies I had at home.

3M adhesive spray

Staple gun

Marker

Sharp knife or box cutter

Scrap 1x2 or straight edge to draw a straight line.

You'll start by using your marker and straight edge scrap to make a perfectly straight line down both long sides of your noodle. This will ensure all noodles are the same thickness. Then you will cut down both lines to split your pool noodle in half.

Once they are all cut you will lightly spray your hardboard (small sections at a time cause it dries quickly) and add your your noodles.

Then cut off the excess material.

I don't have a photo of me installing the fabric unfortunately. It is quite simple to explain though. Lightly spray one noodle at a time and lay over the fabric. Use your marker end to work the material into the creases. Repeat for each noodle and let dry. When dry flip it over and staple the extra material to the back of the hardboard.

Optional step: I used this French cleat from Lowes to attach the headboard to the wall. Follow instructions on packaging for proper instal to your wall.

Thats it!!! This project was so fun and cost less than 1/4 of the price of the one we saw online. If you'd like a video tutorial I have one available on my Instagram @beingjsmith. Scroll through my highlights for "HEADBOARD". Id love for you to give me a follow while you there so you don't miss many other projects like this.

21 Clever Wind Chimes You Can Make
Check Out These Wonderful Gift Ideas You Can Do All By Yourself
Spring Cleaning Tricks for the Kitchen
3 Gorgeous Ideas to Use Photo Frames - and Not for Pictures!
30 Adorable DIY Ideas For July 4th
3 Weird Step-by-Step Ways to Decorate Your Plain Tea Towels

• Proof reader needed. Spray with what?????

I know glue, but.....

• Pat
      Pat
      Yesterday

3 M adhesive spray the last article in the resource above

• Heather  Stuart
    Heather Stuart
    Yesterday

That is one of the best ones I’ve seen! Incredibly resourceful.

• DN
    DN
    6 hours ago

Very cool idea. I would have liked more detail on applying the fabric, and some closer photos of the finishing process. Also, the top edge does not look smooth. How was the top finished? It looks really nice.

• Ann
    Ann
    12 hours ago

I think you will need more than 2 to 3 inches of excess fabric because you are following the curves of the noodles. Just my thoughts on the subject. Like the idea!

• Donna
    Donna
    4 hours ago

Yes, I will try this, with modifications. I would sculpt the top of the noodles to create a more decorative shape on the top of the headboard. I would use a bedroom matching color and decorative fabric. I picture a pool noodle cut in half, looking like two half rounds, so I cannot figure out what made up the spaces between each of the pool noodle halves. Please explain. I love your idea and you did a fine job. I too would like to know what brand of what kind of spray adhesive that you sprayed on the noodles to attach the fabric that would not cause the foam to disintegrate. You might want to add the French hinge to your supplies list. Thanks for Sharing.

Donna