Succulent Terrarium DIY

I am slightly succulent obsessed. This is one of the many projects I have going on right now that deal with succulents. The reason why I love them so much is you don't need a green thumb (phew! the pressure is off!) they are very hard to kill and need very little work. Which is good for me, because I seem to kill anything that grows! This is an easy-peasy project for you to make a low-maintenance garden for your home.
succulent terrarium diy, crafts, gardening, succulents, terrarium
Materials:
1. Glass vessel of any shape or size
2. rocks/gravel
3. Activated Charcoal (found at your local pet store- this helps prevent mold and bacteria from building up)
4. Moss (optional)
5. Potting Soil
6. Succulents
7. Decorative touches- a fun top layer (I used a sparkly broken glass looking stuff intended for a vase filler to add a fun glittery effect on mine) you can also add more rocks, wood, seashells, miniature figurines...whatever you fancy, and all entirely optional
Putting it all together:
In your glass vessel of choice do the following steps:
1. Add gravel/rocks about 1 inch thick or more depending on your preference
2. Add a thin layer of activated charcoal
3. Add moss (optional) I wanted it more for looks, but it also helps keep the moisture in
4. Add soil 1-2 inch thick
5. Add succulents (I used trimmings from my yard, so I didn't even have to purchase new ones...free .99 baby!)
6. Add all the decorative touches you want...or not
Terrarium Maintenance:
Just an occasion spritzing of water once a week and put in a place in your home that gets good indirect sunlight
Enjoy your little (practically no maintenance) garden!
Even more terrarium inspiration can be found on the blog! I hosted a craft night centered around these beauties!! Terrarium Bar anyone?!
Cassie Kent

• Hannah V

I SO want to make one of these! I'm a total succulent nut.

• Jan Koelsch

I love plants but sometimes I overwater. This was an awesome tutorial and makes a great way to have a garden inside. In Kansas during our hot summers, these would be great on my front porch. Thank you for the idea and I'll be thinking of you as I work on the project...inside and outside. Also could see doing seasonal gardens as well.