Paint a Glass Table Top

$20

I've hated my glass topped dining table for ages - it's noisy, I'm forever cleaning it and although they're great in smaller spaces, being able to see through it makes it seem messy. There aren't many ways that you can upcycle a glass table but rather than throwing it out, I decided to give it a lift by painting the UNDERSIDE! Now it's a lovely calm light aqua colour and it looks tidier because you can't see through it.
Before photo
Paint the under-side, not the top! I couldn't find a paint specially for glass surfaces - other than tinted art paints - so I opted for a light cream, gloss paint designed for wood and metal. Most glass tables have a tint to them already so make sure you check your paint looks good through the tint of your glass!
Our table has a bevelled edge, which I masked off before painting.
Peel the masking tape off when the paint is touch dry but not totally hard. If there are any paint dribbles behind the masking tape, it's easier to clean these up before the paint is completely hard. We're so happy with the result. A more modern look, that seems calmer and tidier. Two coats still let some light through.
After photo
A calmer, tidier look & it doesn't need cleaning top and bottom everyday. Even though we don't have aqua anywhere else in our decor, this milky aqua goes very well with the rest of our decor and a variety of table settings (red. orange, mixed).
Now it's painted, the top still let's some light through and it's a much better backdrop for photography too.
Detailed instructions on our blog http://miydiy.com/how-to-paint-glass-table-top/

Sally Campbell

• Susie Peters Feaster

Is it possible to ad some kind of coloring (burgandy) to change the color of the tint?
  • Deni

Can you use acrylic paint with a clear acrylic spray over it to keep it from chipping?

• JaBro

just delightful! I have a 30+ year old round glass top patio table that is begging for an update. I thought I would simply paint the mauve (remember the “mauve” eighties?) aluminum bottom, but now think that the glass could use freshening too. Do you think that this treatment might hold up outside?

• Janice

Yup! I’m going try it on a protected patio

• Sabrina

Love this idea! Adding this to my to do list. We bought our 1st home ever this August and have been doing project after project from this site. Thank you!