Colette
Colette
  • Swedesboro, NJ

Colorful Painted Backsplash

$30

UPDATE!!! This project was selected as a finalist for Frogtape's "Earn Your Stripes Contest"! Please vote for me to win the $5,000 grand prize using this link: http://earnyourstripes.readysetpromo.com/vote.html?__entry=5933774. You can vote every day! Please share with your family and friends too!
I created this colorful painted backsplash for just $30 using frogtape and paint samples! Check out the
kitchen backsplash colorful painted, diy, kitchen backsplash, kitchen design
Here is the finished project! Read on for step-by-step instructions.
First I sketched out my design on a piece of paper to get my measurements. Then I marked my "grout lines" with pencil on the wall and created all of the "grout lines" using frog tape and white paint. I did the vertical lines first, let them dry for a few hours, then continued with the diagonal lines.
I taped and painted the diagonal lines in one direction, let them dry for a few hours, then did the other direction.
It required some flexibility to get all the way into the corners!
Here’s what it looked like halfway through, before I did the second round of diagonal lines.
After all of my “grout lines” were painted, I taped off some random “tiles” and painted them with bright cheerful colors!
Voila!! With a few dollars and a little patience, I transformed my kitchen from boring white walls to a vibrant, happy space!
Let’s compare with what it looked like before…
And after… sooo much better. Now it makes me smile every time I walk into my kitchen! Overall it probably took me a total of about 8 hours to complete, but I just worked on it for an hour or so after work each day so it didn't seem so bad. I think it was totally worth if for the final product!! And with materials only costing about $30, I probably saved a couple hundred dollars by doing this instead a "real" backsplash.
Have you ever attempted a painted back splash? How did it turn out? I would love to hear your ideas and results!
Colette

• Lynne Fluhr

Love this! Love the colors ( my kind of colors) did you just use regular interior wall paint?

• Candace

I’m not sure what she used but some advice would be not to use any kind of flat paint. Flat paint isn’t supposed to be used in any room where there is moisture because mildew will grow quickly and because it can’t be wiped off you can only touch it up. So gloss or semi gloss would be your best choices in a kitchen bathroom or laundry room 😊 hope this helps!

• Pat Dennis

How wide did you make the grout lines? I love this and want to do it in my kitchen!

• MNTRYJOSEPH

Wow! What a project! Looks fantastic!

• Mary

Job well done! I did this project probably close to 20 years ago. I did a French Country 4x4 inch diamond style pattern. It turned out so well that everyone had to touch it to see if it was real. Like you I worked on it a few hours after work each evening. It is time consuming, but so rewarding and money saving. I used left over paint from other projects I had done before, so no real added cost, just my time.