Colorful Painted Backsplash

$30

UPDATE!!! This project was selected as a finalist for Frogtape's "Earn Your Stripes Contest"! Please vote for me to win the $5,000 grand prize using this link: http://earnyourstripes.readysetpromo.com/vote.html?__entry=5933774. You can vote every day! Please share with your family and friends too!
I created this colorful painted backsplash for just $30 using frogtape and paint samples! Check out the whole tutorial with lots more pictures below. This project was even featured on Apartment Therapy! Woohoo! You can check out this and more of my projects on my blog (link at the end of this post).
Here is the finished project! Read on for step-by-step instructions.
First I sketched out my design on a piece of paper to get my measurements. Then I marked my "grout lines" with pencil on the wall and created all of the "grout lines" using frog tape and white paint. I did the vertical lines first, let them dry for a few hours, then continued with the diagonal lines.
I taped and painted the diagonal lines in one direction, let them dry for a few hours, then did the other direction.
It required some flexibility to get all the way into the corners!
Here’s what it looked like halfway through, before I did the second round of diagonal lines.
After all of my “grout lines” were painted, I taped off some random “tiles” and painted them with bright cheerful colors!
Voila!! With a few dollars and a little patience, I transformed my kitchen from boring white walls to a vibrant, happy space!
Let’s compare with what it looked like before…
And after… sooo much better. Now it makes me smile every time I walk into my kitchen! Overall it probably took me a total of about 8 hours to complete, but I just worked on it for an hour or so after work each day so it didn't seem so bad. I think it was totally worth if for the final product!! And with materials only costing about $30, I probably saved a couple hundred dollars by doing this instead a "real" backsplash.
Have you ever attempted a painted back splash? How did it turn out? I would love to hear your ideas and results!

31 Storage Hacks That Will Instantly Declutter Your Kitchen
14 DIY Must-Haves For All Camping Trips
17 Benches You Can Build This Summer
16 Fun Ways You Can Use Food To Decorate Your Home
3 Easy Ways to Make The Cutest Coasters for Your House
Make Your Home a Winter Wonderland With These Stunning Ideas
Easy DIY Remedies For Your 7 Most Hated Bugs
3 Gorgeous Decor Projects In The Oh-So-Chic Geometric Style
31 Ways To Keep Your Home Organized
23 Surprising Uses for Curtain Rings
25 Fabulous Feather Projects That You Don't Want To Miss
15 Genius Hacks to Keep Pests Away
15 Amazing Craft Projects That You Can Do Under 15 Minutes
3 Easy Ways To Upgrade Your Pillows To A High End Look
Upgrade Your Backyard With These 30 Clever Ideas
Colette

• Pat Dennis

How wide did you make the grout lines? I love this and want to do it in my kitchen!

• Sherry L.

So is there a way to do this around a stovetop and to where grease will wipe off easy?

• Gail

Luv the backsplash but really want to know the granite name?

• Sandy

Very pretty.Wish I had the patience and agility,lol.

• Mary

yOU DID A WONDERFUL JOB. bEEN WANTING TO DO SOMETHING WITH MY BACKSPLASH. THOUGHT OF PAINTING IT OR PUTTING CONTACT PAPER. i LOVE YOUR IDEA.