Making an Upcycle Dragon Fly Leads to Another Project Using Leftovers!

I fell in love the post on Hometalk that used ceiling fan blades for an upcycled dragon fly and had to make one for myself. A trip to Habitat for Humanity Rehab Store got all the supplies I needed and the dragon fly was made. But I was left with one lonely fan blade and all the hardware. Hmmmm, what to do?
making an upcycle dragon fly leads to another project using leftovers, crafts, repurposing upcycling, wall decor
This is what I came up with. I thought the blade attachments resembled fish tails. I spray painted the fan blade blue, then taped it off and lightly spray painted the bottom white. I used acrylic paint for the eye, and black sharpie marker for the lines. Curled silver and copper wires make the water, and I screwed those to the back. I glued old keys to the back for hangers, but it could be mounted to a stake for placement in a garden.
Don't they look like fish tails to you?
This is how the dragon fly turned out. I glued halogen lights on either side of a railing spindle. And bent and screwed a slotted spoon to the top for the face/mouth thing.
A view from the back.

• Michelle Kolbenstetter

My local habitat for humanity rehab store sells the fan blades (with the hardware attached) in groups of five. I did not have to buy the whole ceiling fan in order to get my blades.

• Punky brewster

I love love love the whale!