A Vintage Inspired Vanity Tray

I came across this beautiful piece of cut wood that I found in the clearance section at Walmart, for about $5.00! At some point I knew just what I would create with it...a vintage inspired vanity tray. I happily put this beauty in my cart, brought it home and couldn't wait to getting working on this. I just fell in love with this shape. This one in particular measured about 18" but you could create one in a different size that fits your space.
a vintage vanity, chalk paint, decoupage, diy, home decor, repurposing upcycling

To BUY this gorgeous tray, click here!

I found the perfect pair of vintage dresser drawer pulls to fit on either end that would serve as handles. There are so many places now that you can find beautiful drawer pulls that are inspired by vintage pieces if you aren't able to get a hold of the real thing. I drilled holes through the tray for each handle and just simply screwed on the handles on each side.
I absolutely love working with the chalk paint® decorative paint by Annie Sloan. It's so easy to paint with, the coverage is wonderful and I just love all of the colors available.
Yep, my favorite chalk paint® color, “French Linen“, I have to admit I am very partial to grey and was swooning over this color ever since I laid eyes on it. It’s kinda a khaki grey that takes on different tones, which I love depending on the wood color underneath. This tray would be pretty in any color and that's the fun part you can paint yours any color that would blend well with your decor. I let mine dry overnight so I could add my stencil image to the tray.
For those of you who aren’t familiar with image transfers, this one is super easy. For this particular transfer you will need the following:
printer, printer paper or card stock,Elmers glue, Mod Podge or glue like medium, paint or sponge brush, credit card for smoothing {you can find Modge Podge at any craft store or online}
First, coat your paper with a smooth coat of Elmers glue, try to keep it as even as possible and let dry over night. Once dry, you are ready to print your image. I chose my image, {make sure which ever image you choose you reverse the image} most programs have an option to reverse the image for printing transfers, if not, there are programs that you can utilize online. You can use regular paper or card stock for this process. I chose card stock because it is thicker and easier to use. I use an inkjet printer, but this also works with a laser printer as well. Print your image and set aside. On your surface, brush on a smooth layer of Modge Podge where your image will be applied. Place image side down on your surface and smooth with the edge of a credit card. Try to get as smooth as possible, but don’t worry if you don’t. I happen to like the irregularities, it just adds to the charm. Once smooth, let dry overnight. Do not try to peek, as hard as it will be you will ruin the transfer if you do. {Seriously, no peeking}
The next day {I hope you didn’t peek} simply run under water or use a cloth or your fingers to wash away. it comes away pretty easy. The glue and Modge Podge both wash away and don’t leave any residue. I set it aside to let it fully dry so I could apply a light wash of “Old White” for a nice weathered look.
Once the tray fully dried I added the light wash of “Old White”, let dry and added a nice coat of the “soft wax“. Not only does the soft wax protect the surface it adds a beautiful matte finish. Once the clear soft wax dried I gave the tray a light brushing of the “dark wax” for a little charm and aged look. A little goes a long way on the dark wax and find it best to dab just a tiny bit onto a plate so you can brush off the excess and have a bit more control.
Here is the finished vanity tray. I am pretty happy with the results. It’s a nice alternative to the standard mirrored vanity tray. Not that I don’t love those as well, just wanted to do something different.
This tray became the inspiration behind this entire set that I was so honored to create for the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation. My whole goal was to create an collection that could be used in an auction that would help raise money for this cause. I wanted to create a full set that someone could enjoy every day. I added a bit of the “Old White” paint to a vintage gold frame, added a bit of burlap, a piece of my french script fabric and of course some sparkle.
The bouquet are the paper flowers I create that have been tea stained with rhinestone centers. They kinda have a dried flower appearance but will last a really long time.
I created a set of three vintage glass jars with lots of sparkle and french inspired labels. I gave a light wash of “Old White” to the vintage trinket box as well to keep in with the light weathered look. It's super easy to decorate up a jar with a bit or ribbon, lace or jute twine, glue on pretty labels and fill with your vanity necessities. Head over to the Graphics Fairy for a large selection of free printables. This particular trinket box no longer had its lining so I added a bit of a beautiful grey velvet. The gold vintage mirror completes the whole setting.

To BUY this gorgeous tray, click here!

There are so many things you could add to your tray to pretty it up. A little pretty and practical is always nice, right? These wood pieces come in different sizes and would be a nice addition to your bathroom as well.
I hope this inspired you to create your own vanity tray. I'd be happy to help with any questions you may have.
Happy Creating!
To see more of this set visit here: http://blog.clothandpatina.com/?p=339

Cloth and Patina

• Karin Outen

Where did you find your handles. I love those! And how did you attach them?

• Cloth and Patina

@Karin Outen Those were some of my favorites, just loved them too! I don't remember exactly where I had found those, but believe I found those at our local Faith Farm thrift store. To attach, I placed the handles down on the tray where I wanted them to go, marked the spot with a pencil, then drilled the holes out with a drill. Then attached the handles using screws. Hoping this helps! Feel free to ask me any other questions : )

• Kiki

LOVE, LOVE,LOVE it!!! Where did you get the French labels on the bottles?

• Kiki

where did you get the labels on the bottles?

• Cloth and Patina

Hello and good morning! These are labels that I create and use on various pieces. Kindest, Tammy

• Catsmother1

Do you have a tutorial on how to make the flowers? Thanks. Pat Watson

• Sally-Charles Evans

My understanding is that you printed on the dried Mod Podge.....Does it not get in your printer??

• Cloth and Patina

Yes I printed on the dried Mod Podge and no it does not get in the printer. Just make sure it is completely dry.

• 9530106

I am reading that you print on the dry Elmers glue, and use the MP to adhere the paper to the surface. Yes?

• Paege

Everything is so lovely! I am enchanted with your paper flowers! I looked at the tutorial and I do understand it and your directions above. I would like to ask you what sort of paper you used because it appears to be thinner that that which is used in the tutorial. Thanks! You have a delightful talent!

• Cloth and Patina

Yes, I use a regular sheet of printer paper. I like that it is thinner and like the way it will weather and crinkle from the tea staining. Thank you so much for your kind words! So very nice of you to say. xoxox

• Pat5959442

Absolutely fabulous!! Thank you for your involvement in the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation. I've lost three daughters to this viscous disease and appreciate those who are helping to find a cure. You are a special person! Thank you also for sharing your wonderful talent. Pattyd

• Cloth and Patina

Patty, I am so very sorry for your losses. Hugs to you. It always pains me to see others suffer and try to help out in any way I am able. Thank you so very much for your kind words. Blessings to you, Tammy

• One Crazy Lady

Would you share where you got the handles from please?

• Cloth and Patina

Those are ones that I had found at our local Faith Farm Thrift Store many years ago. You can still find these though on Etsy or Ebay.

• Randie Ross Stern

How do you create the tea stained flowers? Where is your tutorial ?

• Cloth and Patina

Hello there, I don't have a tutorial for these as of yet, but will have to try and get one up for you all. You can either use tea or coffee which ever you prefer. But, I generally just heat up water in a pan then place it in a casserole dish, add a few tea bags, let steep, add flowers, let them sit in to your desired darkness take out, let drain, (i like to hang them upside down so the tips of the petals have a deeper tint) and then let dry. Hope this helps. Tammy

• Mol12356038

Do you have a tutorial on how to make the flowers??