Ginger & The Huth
Ginger & The Huth
  • Dallas, TX

Ana White's Little Helper Tower

$60.50
1 Day

After BH's Auntie sent me the picture below I knew he was ready for a Little Helper Tower. I LOVE the fact that he's old enough to "help" at the counter (he's 2 now). I want him up there, but don't want the worry of him falling off a chair, or the hassle of trying to coral him on one.
For detailed build instructions visit: http://ana-white.com/2010/12/helping-tower.html
(not 2 in this picture)
(not 2 in this picture)
I was sold on building the tower when I looked up how much it would cost to just buy a Helper Tower: Guidecraft $127.21, Little Partners $199.99, Guide Craft #2 $139.99, or Little Helper Fun Pod $190
ana whites little helper tower, diy, woodworking projects
If you don't have a jig-saw don't worry about making the top pieces arched (I see no reason why one couldn't make it straight across). Although I've found if BH is in a particular climb-y mood (as in trying to climb onto the counter) I can turn the helper tower so the arch is against the counter preventing him from climbing up. So, the arch does serve a purpose in our family.
Above is a picture with hinge placement- Not only can this stand adjust to different heights for your child it also collapses to take up less room if needed.
I used a total of 16 hinges to ensure sturdiness. Two hinges on each corner of the 1x8 piece and a hinge anywhere the corners connected. I used Narrow Utility Hinges (1-1/2" Zinc plated). The pack of 2 cost $2.27 and comes with screws. My biggest regret is not painting the hinges before I put them on. I waited until after screwing them in and it was a pain and makes my paint job look sloppy.
This project cost me $60.50, the hinges really add cost to this project, so if you don't foresee needing to collapse the helper stand you can forgo the hinges and save yourself $18.16- bringing the total cost down to $42.34
Although I priced this build out, I ended up using wood I already had in the garage. I didn't have enough 1x3 to make the anti-tipping feet so I used a 2x4. I also didn't make the rounded edges, just a few angled straight cuts.
THESE ANTI-TIP FEET ARE A SAFETY MUST, DO NOT SKIP THEM!! BH would have easily knocked his tower many times over if it weren't for these anti-tip feet!
No, I don't make him wear a helmet when he's on the stand. He's just really into wearing his "reece car" helmet these days.
This tower is by far my FAVORITE kitchen addition yet :-)
Couldn't be happier with this build. Totally worth every penny.

Ginger & The Huth

• Cynthy

This is adorable! My daughter began with standing on kitchen chair, then upgraded to step stool. Fond memories of baking homemade biscuits and playing with the extra dough!

• Julie Dunkin

I can see this being made with two chairs and a little reworking of the wood, I think I would leave one side open, so it could also be used by others to sit in or maybe a step stool??? Good idea, but please remember never leave your appliances left plugged in.