Douglas Hunt
Douglas Hunt
  • New Smyrna Beach, FL

Question for all the pond people

Miriam IVidya: Whats Ur Home StoryRose S
+21

How large a pond do you need to have to have a happy water lily or lotus? (Not one of those giants with leaves you could nap on, just the average size.)
q question for all the pond people, gardening, ponds water features
  • I don't think there is any limit to size. I've seen lillies in a patio pond (small bowl that can go on your deck or patio and can hold fish, plants and even a small water feature) Lillies like still water not rushing water.

• I totally agree Bill! Mr. Douglass Hunt, here is a link to one of those great patio ponds perfect for a lily without being too large.

• Sharron W

OH WOW! how awesome is that! So two questions, is it safe to leave it out oveer the winter....and What is the cost of that pot? @Ponds Inc. of Illinois, Jason Lenox

• Rose S

My little pond is about the size of 3 bathtubs, though it is much deeper. I have waterlilies blooming from May to August/September. My only problem is keeping the Heron's from having their lunch on my Koi's. :-)

Thanks, all. I was definitely inspired by the water lilies that were in bloom at the New York Botanical Garden this weekend.

• Ligia Bello

I dont' have yet water lilies in my pond , Im thinking to grow some

• TRD Designs Ltd.

Douglas, keep in mind that water lillies and lotus do not like a lot of movement in the water. They will do much better in an area of the pond that is somewhat calm.

• Ligia Bello

Good idea my pond is not calm

Thanks, Tom. That is good to know.

• Rocky Mountain WaterScape

There are very small lotus, bowl lotus, that can be grown in a container on a patio. But it should be sunny and not windy. Just like they are bothered by fast moving water, they are extremely bothered by the wind. They do have beautiful blossoms, too!

• Town and Country Living

I have one of those whiskey barrels you can get just about anywhere and I keep a miniature waterlily in it ... the Nymphaea Helvola. It's yellow and is smaller than the standard waterlily ... perfect for the container. I left it in the container (with water) all last winter and it survived. Granted, we had a mild winter last year. Waterlilies like lots of sun (at least 6 hours of FULL sun) and they need to be fertilized as they're voracious eaters.

• Sharron W

I had a water lilly for four years in my pond, I always left them over winter and they would LOOK like mush, but when spring came they were back growing like crazy....sadly I didn't make the pond right and had to take it down last spring, but I wanted to save my lilly until I could re-do my pond....So I bought a bucket, the size of a 1/2 whisky barrel and put them in it....along with some fresh water and fertilizer and one of the floating things to keep misquitos from breeding...and although it was a "normal" sized plant with huge roots when I put it in there...it adapted and now the leaves are tiny little minature leaves...I think that is so cool that over one season it "adapted" to the smaller space it had...it even bloomed for me....

What a cool story, Sharron. So you sort of ended up with water lily bonsai.

• Sharron W

Yeah Douglas! It IS kind of like Bonsai now that you mention it....I was looking at it sadly yesterday...the leaves getting mottled and yellow...we've already had some cold temps here, although that's how it is here...a week of chill and then, "oh look it's 80"....and then back to 30....so yeah it's fading for the winter, I hate to see it go....it takes a while for it to rejuvinate in the spring....I HAD pictures I took of it when it bloomed this summer and now I can't find them.... but it's white.

• Vidya: Whats Ur Home Story

You don't even need to have a pond. For the last two summers, my water lily has been happy in my container water garden on my deck. http://whatsurhomestory.com/diy-container-water-garden/

• Miriam I

That's such a cool idea, @Vidya: Whats Ur Home Story You should post that project on Hometalk!

• Rose S

Tom, now you tell me that my waterlilies prefer a calmer environment. My pond guy just upped the pump. Anything I should be doing?

• Miriam I

@Tom Dieck / TRD Designs Ltd. question here for you, see above :)

• TRD Designs Ltd.

Thanks Miriam, I can tell you love your profession. Rose, Waterlillies like to lay flat and still. That is not to say that they cannot survive, it is just saying that they do not thrive in pond with a lot of current. You just need to place them in a sunny and calmer area for best results and fertilize....... that is the key.

• Rose S

Well Tom, lets hope for the best because I managed to get 3 70+ years old Lotus seed to germinate and grow. They didn't bloom this year, but I am hopeful for 2013. :-)

• Vidya: Whats Ur Home Story

@Miriam I - Thank you ! Will share it soon.

• Miriam I

Awesome @Vidya: Whats Ur Home Story :-) can't wait to see it.