Up-cycle Old Glass Table Top to Stained Glass Mosaic Wall Light

Here's a surprise birthday gift I made for my dear hubby! It's made from an 42" big old glass table top!
up cycle old glass table top to stained glass mosaic wall light, crafts, diy, lighting, repurposing upcycling, wall decor
I have long dreamed of making something with stained glass for our home , but was a bit intimidated to start. When Jeff told me he had to take 2 trips the month before his birthday, I saw a perfect golden opportunity: a gorgeous SURPRISE gift as motivation(can still buy one if I fail), and days of not having to hide my work in progress!
Stained glass mosaic requires fewer tools and materials than stained glass. All you need is a glass base, adhesive, grout, and tools to work with glass. MOST important are these 3 safety tips-goggles, gloves, and don’t rub your eyes while cutting glass!! Here's the old glass table top. It has a metal ring around it, perfect for this project!
The process is simple: draw a shape you need on the glass with a maker, score the cut line with a glass cutter, then break the piece off with the pliers. Straight lines are the easiest. Curved lines may need to be done in steps with more gradual curve in each step. Apply a little glue on the piece and press it onto the base glass surface.
The design is inspired by one of the rose windows of Notre Dame. I adapted the geometry, and incorporated images of those simple and sweet moments in our life together, such as hiking in mountains and forests, watching sunset by the ocean, growing a garden, picking fruits at orchards, etc.
I printed a 1:1 scale drawing at a blueprint store, and taped it to the back of the table as a guide.
When all the pieces are glued in place, mix up the grout per specs on the bag, and apply it. I used SANDED grout.
The back lighting was easy, just a roll of LED strip lights, which adheres to the inside of the metal rim around the glass.
We used super heavy duty picture hanging gears to hang this 72lb piece! For more details, visit link below!
APieceofRainbow

• Josh

I know I’m very late to this post, and I apologize. My question is this though: What type of heavy duty picture hanging gears, how were they adhered to the piece, and where were they purchased? 72lbs is a stunning amount of weight to be supported by glue and hung from a wall. Thank you in advance for your help and the steps you took to create such a beautiful work or art. It is inspirational, at the very least, and supremely appreciated!

• Kim
      39 minutes ago

This creation is not for the faint of heart. This is ALOT of work with the amount of detail you've put into it. Simply stunning! I do stained glass and have lots of it, but I also have a old glass table out on my patio. I very always wanted to do this and then lay a clear of something over the top to continue using as a table. The LED light strips would look fabulous at night. I most likely won't be putting that much detail in mine, but it sure is inspiration! Thank you for sharing it with us!!!!

• Letty Green

I would like to do this on a 'fan shape' window above my front doors. It gets a lot of sun there. Will heat affect this?

• Pam

I used this same application, for front door and two exterior windows 15+yrs and still amazing.

• Becky

Which one shows y'all seeing the sunset, gardening, etc?