Junk Chairs to Sculptural Stairwell Display Shelving

Cast away assorted chairs were stripped, sanded and adorned with found "junk" to make sculptural display shelving for model home stairwell.
Sculptural shelving using old chairs and junk
Wanted something fun and different to use to display items on large stairwell wall, so dove down into my cast off stash and found lots of discarded chairs. I found 3 different styles and started to strip and sand off the old paint and cut off the front legs and part of the seat so there was enough seat area for shelf.
Stripped and sanded chair to start shelf
I then sanded the seat edges smooth with a palm sander, rounding the front edges to soften the edges. I knew the chairs were not textured enough, needed some accessories to liven it up...and that means, JUNK, got to love that junk! Scrounged through bins of what I had been saving, and grabbed whatever could be screwed, nailed or glued onto the chair for a sculptural look.
Junk added to chairs and painted all the same
Painted them all with several coats of white spray paint first, then painted a couple of coats with the same color as the trim and the stair rails so they would tie in. (I had to remember to paint underneath as well, for that side would be seen as well.) I attached d-ring picture hangers on the back and they hung like a charm. Spacing could be kind of tricky...you will need a couple of hands to help hang especially in a stairwell!
Finished Look for Parade Home Entryway
Finished look in stairwell entry of the Parade Home...so glad the new owner purchased and kept them as they were...
Using castaways and junk in unexpected ways keeps me inspired, and I love the end results and the way it clears out my stash! Read more about this project on my blog,

Taylor @ TayRose Design

• Joanie

They also remind me of 3 High chairs for three children's pics. Just drifting into MY thoughts and ideas.
  • Car Rey

Love this idea. Thanks so much for the instructions.