Small Kitchen Ideas: Going Vertical to Gain Storage Space

$15

Having a tiny studio apartment with a very small kitchen made me look at all the space I had to see what I could use for storage. That space above the kitchen cabinets ended being very useful to store items I didn't need everyday, and by using closed boxes, everything stayed dust and dirt free.
I recycled paper boxes by "prettying" them up with contact paper (you could also use fabric and mod podge).
It's easy to have the boxes match whatever your decor is. You can buy these boxes at Staples for $1 if you don't have any on hand or shoe boxes would work well too.
Using white plastic drawers above the fridge also gave me more space to store knickknacks. I lined the inside of the drawers, which are clear, to "hide" the stuff inside.
This video shows more things I did in my 450 ft2 NYC studio apartment to make it feel bigger and more functional.

12 Container Garden Ideas to Kick Off Spring
25 Creative Ways You Can Decorate Using Maps
15 Awesome Projects To Get You Ready For St. Patrick's Day
25 Fun Things You'll Want to DIY Before the Spring Arrives
25 Impressive Ways You Can Update Your Ikea Purchases!
Inspirational Ideas for Spring Flowers
Engineer Your Space

• Cecelia Winer
    Cecelia Winer

I am 79yrs and find it hard to climb up. My problem is all the oil fumes from frying lands on walls, top of cupboards.. i am on a limited budget so I can't afford to hire some one. I bought a ductless fan over the stove. It does no good and our walls are not compatable to put it to the outside. any suggestions??

• DJ Harrison
      DJ Harrison

Cecelia, I agree with Carroll. Most of the suggestions on Home Talk are for younger people but fun to look at. Being safe is more important than high storage and cute decor for those of us who are older. Even reaching the top of the refrigerator can cause a bad fall.

I recommend getting a telescoping duster (Swiffer has one for under $10) for the high places you can't reach. Leave anything you can't reach for someone else like kids or grandkids. If they're not willing to help out, don't worry about dust no one can see. It's not worth hurting yourself over.

• Lem28805058
    Lem28805058

I love the idea of the removable vinyl tiles in the kitchen. Where can I get them? Were they originally sticky-backed and you didn't remove the backing? Please help - love your site - my apartment is 500 sq fee with the CHEAPEST tiles and carpets.
    Thank you.
  • Joanie
    Joanie

I'm Baaaaa ck..........Is your plant full and traily now???

• Laura
    Laura

I used to use baskets - for a country look and this is much better - easier to clean.

• Doreen Kennedy
    Doreen Kennedy

I actually like your boxes and plant above your cabinets. They add interest and look decorative. Nice job!