Dianna Wood
Dianna Wood
  • Burlington, NC

Brilliant Idea!

$80-100
Advanced

So, I had a huge jar of left over glass pebbles--you know the kind that you get at the craft store in those little net bags. I use the flawless ones to make my custom art pendants and rather than throw away the flawed ones, I kept collecting them in a large glass jar hoping someday I would come up with a brilliant idea. Well, here it is! It's a work in progress...
using glass pebbles as wall decor, decoupage, foyer, repurposing upcycling, wall decor
I first cut out pages from an old pocket Bible that was falling apart and missing pages.
I them spent a good part of a day, decoupaging them to a long section of the hallway wall.
Once the decoupage had dried; I began at the bottom of the wall, gluing one glass bead at a time, using (you guessed it) E6000. This process took at least 10 separate, 1 hour sessions. Once I glued about 5 or 6 rows, I used lengths of scotch tape to secure them to the wall and allowed the glue to dry over night before starting another section.
This took a really, really, long time. I got to a point that I was a bit sorry that I started it. Of course that is simply because I am 54 years old and lazy.
Love the way the light reflects off the glass and magnifies the words. You could use any background you like. I'm thinking colorful tissue paper, crinkled up, would look really lovely on a larger wall that gets a lot of light.
Once I had covered the entire section of the wall with the glass pebbles, I got the crazy idea to grout them in. So, I mixed some black acrylic paint into the dry white grout that I had left over from the bathroom project and after masking everything off, I started at the bottom and worked my way up.
I ran out of grout three quarters of the way up and have decided that I like the look and I am going to leave the rest un-grouted. The next step is going to be a surprise. I hope to have it completed in a couple months.
Hint: The next step includes a little girl blowing soap bubbles.....
I doubt many people have a large jar of left over glass beads; and I doubt most people would want to stick them on a wall; but, just in case you do...
I will create a separate post once the project is complete. That post will provide a step-by-step on how I paint the wall mural.

Dianna Wood

• Alice

I think is absolutey amazing. Just plain beautiful, lots of work, but worthwhile. My question, the pebbles, are they the size of a penny?

• Senior Chief

LOVE this basic idea, but think I'll do it on a piece of scrap board so I can lay it flat & reduce work time. Also think old sheet music would be cool. Perhaps mount like tile because it will be heavy. 😉. Do you foresee any issues with that plan?

• Suzanne Coia

What type of glue did you use to adhere the pebbles to the wall?

• Very effective. I have used the same glass to make fridge magnets. You can use pretty paper napkins for your design or just go through magazines.

Just glue a round magnet onto the bottom once you have added your "cut out". Clear nail polish works well for that.

• Sharon Gott Griffin

Just an awesome idea and I love it!