Look What I Did With A $5 Tabletop!

Let me show you how I transformed a discarded, old and beat-up tabletop into a thing of beauty! Ready-made oversize clocks are too expensive for my budget, so I made a diy version for a fraction of the cost.
look what i did with a 5 tabletop, crafts, how to, outdoor furniture, outdoor living, repurposing upcycling
I've seen all sorts of diy garden clocks around the web. But I wanted mine to be a "living" clock by placing plants in buckets that are attached at the 12, 3, 6 and 9 locations. I chose to use faux succulents since live plants would have to be kept watered.
Since I want to hang it outside or on a porch, my clock is faux, but it could easily be made into a working one with the addition of a clock mechanism. One of the nicest things about this project is that using a round tabletop provides you with a perfectly round clock face to start with - no attaching boards together and cutting into a circle with a jigsaw involved!
Here's the before. Hard to imagine that this old tabletop could be turned into anything worthwhile!
The very first thing to do is to attach "D" ring hangers to the back. Follow that up with a coat or two of paint. Chalky finish paint was used for this project - a coat of solid gray and then a watered down coat of white to give it the weathered look. I would also add a coat of waterproof sealer if I were going to hang the clock outside.
Attach the pipe clamps where the buckets will be located with a screw. Adjust the opening of each clamp to hold the buckets in place. Glue everything to the clock face using epoxy glue, but place it all into position prior to gluing in case any placement adjustments need to be made. Supplies used: "D" ring hangers, pipe clamps, garden tools, small metal buckets, live or faux plants, clock hands, unpainted wood knob, compass stencil, black craft paint, epoxy, screws and a screwdriver.
I used decorative gardening tools to give my clock a bright and cherry look, but you can use old and crusty ones if you prefer a more rustic look.
It looks great displayed above a potting bench, on a porch, on the side of a shed or even indoors!
Suzy @ Worthing Court Blog

• Joanie

Such a huge idea......;) I wouldn't want to walk under it and down it comes.....all those garden tools could kill ya....lol........All kiddin' aside, it is just the cutest and creative clock!!

• Suzy @ Worthing Court Blog

Thank you! LOL about it falling! :D Don't worry - the clock is securely attached and wouldn't fall unless you bumped into it pretty hard.

• Annette Perlman

Annette P.

I Just love this! It's gorgeous yes, and fairly simple enough that even I could do it, but think of all the possible themes that can be used. There's no limit. My brain is exploding. You can make it on almost anything, and personalize it for anybody, young or old, male or female. Thank you Suzy!