Look What I Did With A $5 Tabletop!

Let me show you how I transformed a discarded, old and beat-up tabletop into a thing of beauty! Ready-made oversize clocks are too expensive for my budget, so I made a diy version for a fraction of the cost.
I've seen all sorts of diy garden clocks around the web. But I wanted mine to be a "living" clock by placing plants in buckets that are attached at the 12, 3, 6 and 9 locations. I chose to use faux succulents since live plants would have to be kept watered.
Since I want to hang it outside or on a porch, my clock is faux, but it could easily be made into a working one with the addition of a clock mechanism. One of the nicest things about this project is that using a round tabletop provides you with a perfectly round clock face to start with - no attaching boards together and cutting into a circle with a jigsaw involved!
Here's the before. Hard to imagine that this old tabletop could be turned into anything worthwhile!
The very first thing to do is to attach "D" ring hangers to the back. Follow that up with a coat or two of paint. Chalky finish paint was used for this project - a coat of solid gray and then a watered down coat of white to give it the weathered look. I would also add a coat of waterproof sealer if I were going to hang the clock outside.
Attach the pipe clamps where the buckets will be located with a screw. Adjust the opening of each clamp to hold the buckets in place. Glue everything to the clock face using epoxy glue, but place it all into position prior to gluing in case any placement adjustments need to be made. Supplies used: "D" ring hangers, pipe clamps, garden tools, small metal buckets, live or faux plants, clock hands, unpainted wood knob, compass stencil, black craft paint, epoxy, screws and a screwdriver.
I used decorative gardening tools to give my clock a bright and cherry look, but you can use old and crusty ones if you prefer a more rustic look.
It looks great displayed above a potting bench, on a porch, on the side of a shed or even indoors!

Does Your Staircase Need an Update?
Upgrade Your Backyard With These 30 Clever Ideas
30 Great Ideas For Every Pet Owner!
31 Update Ideas To Make Your Kitchen Look Fabulous
30 Stylish Update Ideas You'll Want To Use For Your Bedroom
Here's How You Can DIY The Hottest Home Decor Trends of 2018
How To: Make Hot Glue Placemats + More Crafts Ideas!
The Wonderful Things You Can Make With...Paper!
These West Elm Knockoffs Are Pretty Unbelievable
25 Christmas Wreath Ideas You Don't Want To Miss This Year
15 Unbelievable Ways People Paint Their Walls
30 Jaw-Dropping Decorating Techniques You've Never Seen Before
Suzy @ Worthing Court Blog

• Diane Meland

Yes, I think that is the cutest clock I have ever seen. I too want to put mine outside, so I will add a clock mechanism, so while outside on deck we don't have to run into the house to see the time. I still would like to know whee to get the decorated garden utensils.

• Suzy @ Worthing Court Blog

I found mine at Tuesday Morning, but if you'll do a search on Amazon for "decorative garden tools", several that are similar to mine will pop up.

• Diane Meland

Suzy, I am not as smart as you so I need the sizes of everything so that I can make this by June 27th, my and my Daughters Birthday as well. The size of the table top and the length of the hands, I am going to make mine funtional and want to get everything ordered. If you could help me out I would appreciate it. Thank you for the great idea ever and your time.

• Diane Meland

Suzy, sorry to keep bothering you, but I do however appreciate you taken the time to help me. The clock is such a super neat idea, and yours looks so beautiful, that I don't want to mess mine up. I'll be 65 the 27th of June and I don't get out very much due to my health, so I do a lot of ordering on line. That is why I asked for the demensions and the whereabouts of where you got everything. I do want you to know that I really appreciate all the help that you have given me.