Make Your Own Beautiful Wood Countertops for Under $200!

Want new counters, but can't spend thousands of dollars on natural stone? I'm going to show you how to make your own wood countertops for pennies on the dollar. They are gorgeous, warm and surprisingly durable!
I know your thinking, "What about water?" I'm telling you that we are not careful with these counters at all! We have even left water overnight- my husband is a sloppy coffee pot filler and dish washer- and you would never know it happened!
I started off with 1" x 24" x 6' pieces of Aspen that I bought at my local home store. They were around $40 each. I only needed 3 for my entire kitchen.
Before installing- I gave them all a nice sanding and stained with Minwax Provincial. Then the entire surface got multiple layers of polyurethane. I used Minwax wipe-on Poly, but used a foam sponge to apply. A light sanding in between coats made them smooth and a baby's butt. I have a baby so I know how smooth they are- I change 10 diapers a day!
To join at the corner, I used a Kreg Jig to drill pocket holes.
The joint is super tight using that method. The boards are 3/4" thick so I didn't really want to use biscuits. This worked like a dream.
Since I didn't want to waste my boards and cut a hole for the sink, I simply used 1" x 2" aspen to build a frame in the back and front. It's held up by 2x4's that I installed to support the sink and a few brackets in the plywood on the back of the cabinet. It's not in the studs obviously, but the weight of the sink is dispersed on the 2 x4's and the large counter pieces on the sides.
To finish the edges, I took 1" x 2" x 6' pieces of aspen and cut them lengthwise into almost a square for the edging. Glued and brad nailed in place.
Here's the before white laminate.
Once I installed the counters from the bottom with self tapping screws, I gave the tops another couple coats of poly paying special attention to the edges.
They are super durable, easy to clean and just gorgeous in our kitchen!
For step by step information and more detailed instructions- please see my website below!

OnBlissStreet

• Chrissie Karlson Greatrex

I LOVE this! I have granite but would love to do this to my island, which is BIG and has a round sink in it, guess I would have to have the round circle cut out at the store? What do you think?

• Melena Whiteside

Did you install in wood on top of the laminate counters?

• Fly

The link above is not working. Does anyone know how to get to the website?

• Sally-Charles Evans

I love this! I have wanted wood counters for years. I may give it a try!

• Gennel

Wow! Beautiful. Lovely. I've been wanting to do this in my kitchen. So, I'm feeling lucky, you just gave me great instructions. I think wood countertops will warm up my white kitchen, too. Thanks for sharing.