Make Your Own Beautiful Wood Countertops for Under $200!

Want new counters, but can't spend thousands of dollars on natural stone? I'm going to show you how to make your own wood countertops for pennies on the dollar. They are gorgeous, warm and surprisingly durable!
I know your thinking, "What about water?" I'm telling you that we are not careful with these counters at all! We have even left water overnight- my husband is a sloppy coffee pot filler and dish washer- and you would never know it happened!
I started off with 1" x 24" x 6' pieces of Aspen that I bought at my local home store. They were around $40 each. I only needed 3 for my entire kitchen.
Before installing- I gave them all a nice sanding and stained with Minwax Provincial. Then the entire surface got multiple layers of polyurethane. I used Minwax wipe-on Poly, but used a foam sponge to apply. A light sanding in between coats made them smooth and a baby's butt. I have a baby so I know how smooth they are- I change 10 diapers a day!
To join at the corner, I used a Kreg Jig to drill pocket holes.
The joint is super tight using that method. The boards are 3/4" thick so I didn't really want to use biscuits. This worked like a dream.
Since I didn't want to waste my boards and cut a hole for the sink, I simply used 1" x 2" aspen to build a frame in the back and front. It's held up by 2x4's that I installed to support the sink and a few brackets in the plywood on the back of the cabinet. It's not in the studs obviously, but the weight of the sink is dispersed on the 2 x4's and the large counter pieces on the sides.
To finish the edges, I took 1" x 2" x 6' pieces of aspen and cut them lengthwise into almost a square for the edging. Glued and brad nailed in place.
Here's the before white laminate.
Once I installed the counters from the bottom with self tapping screws, I gave the tops another couple coats of poly paying special attention to the edges.
They are super durable, easy to clean and just gorgeous in our kitchen!
For step by step information and more detailed instructions- please see my website below!
OnBlissStreet

• Sheliah Wall

I live in a 77 year old house I'm renovating. I'm removing 3 solid wood doors that are gorgeous. Could I use them rather than the wood you bought for your project?

• Heje

I bet you could. I used one inch plywood and put trim on the edge and stained and polyed them and they work great!

• Lyn

My grandkids/ kids have put hot pans on my formica countertops, blistering them. Could these wood countertops possibly withstand the heat?

• Gina

If you use Resin to coat they’ll be heat durable and more waterproof.

• Chrissie Karlson Greatrex

I LOVE this! I have granite but would love to do this to my island, which is BIG and has a round sink in it, guess I would have to have the round circle cut out at the store? What do you think?

• Jim Cox

I did a Giani paint job in my bathroom and was very disappointed with it's water durability. Thx for the Minwax Poly idea. I'll use it often

• Cattop

You can get butcher block from Ikea. A 6’ x 24” piece is as title as $132 and it is a honest 1.5” thick. All you have to do is oil it.