Mid Century Modern High Gloss Credenza With Geometric Drawers

Sometimes a piece just needs some paint to help give it a new look and work with today's decor. This Broyhill Premier credenza was one of those pieces. A two tone look would accent the modern design while still showcasing the gorgeous walnut drawers which would be balanced out with a wood base.
fresh and modern high gloss credenza with geometric drawers, painted furniture, repurposing upcycling
I began by wet sanding and staining the drawers and base with Gel Stain. (click the link at the end of this post to find out how I did it without stripping the original finish). Once they dried for 24 hours I sealed the drawers, cabinet doors, and base with a satin water based poly.
As I'm sure you know, the white and walnut look is nothing new. I've done it before and so have many other people. I wanted to do something unique with this piece so on the 3 interior drawers behind the cabinets I taped off a geometric design. It's that fun, unexpected touch that makes the piece that much better. The good thing is it's not always front and center, only when you open up those cabinet doors!
Before priming and painting I sanded the frame with 150 grit sandpaper, wiped it down, then rolled on 2 coats of Zinsser Cover Stain (the geo drawers were also primed). I previously had my can of primer tinted grey so that is what I used. A foam roller worked for getting an even finish. It does leave a funky texture so once it dried I sanded it with some high grit sandpaper to knock down the texture.
Next I moved the piece into my spray booth and sprayed on 3 coats of Benjamin Moore's Advance paint in high gloss white (more details on this paint on my blog). To spray the paint I used my Husky HVLP spray gun and 25 gallon compressor.
The piece turned out great! The rich walnut wood against the crisp white is the perfect combination for this credenza.
The geometric drawers are a fun surprise when you open up the cabinet doors. **To learn how to get perfect painted lines click the link at the end of this post to visit my blog**
The high gloss left an amazing finish. It has that high gloss lacquered look which is great against the satin finish on the wood portions of the piece.
The original brass hardware was left in its perfectly aged condition. It pairs well with the new two tone look on this vintage mid century credenza.

The Weathered Door