DIY Coat Rack and Bench for the Entryway

A coat closet is one of the few things on our wish list that we didn't get when we bought our current house. The first few months we lived here, we made do with an undersized hall tree that we picked up at a yard sale many years and a couple of kids ago. It was pretty clear it was time for a new system:
The solution we came up with is fairly simple (it was one of my husband's first woodworking projects, and it's a great intro to furniture building sort of project), but has worked great for us. Our objective was to fit as much storage as possible into the space available in the foyer. We made a simple coat rack out of two boards and lots and lots of hooks:
And then modified a plan from Ana White's website to make a bench that fit snugly into the space by the door and was big enough to hold four baskets for shoes (one for each kid):
Much better!
I couldn't find baskets I liked at first, so we used some dishpans from the dollar store. But I finally replaced them with these wire baskets I found on Amazon.
I'd still a love a coat closet to keep things hidden away, but if I can't have that, this system is the next best thing! Complete details including plans and cut list for the bench are on my blog.

25 Fabulous Feather Projects That You Don't Want To Miss
Beautify Your Home With These Flower Ideas
Check Out These 15 Beautiful Flower Ideas For Spring
23 Valentine's Day DIY Ideas That You Don't Want To Miss
Do You Want to Make Over a Room in Your Home & Add Gorgeous Built-Ins?
3 Fantastic Step-By-Step Ideas What To Do With Pallets!
Inspirational Ideas for Spring Flowers
15 Amazing Craft Projects That You Can Do Under 15 Minutes
25 Impressive Ways You Can Update Your Ikea Purchases!
Keep Your Craft Supplies Organized With These Fun Storage Ideas
3 Easy Ways To Upgrade Your Pillows To A High End Look
30 Neat Ideas To Upgrade Your Backyard
15 Clever Ways To Repurpose Old Light Bulbs
Gretchen

1 comment