Replacing/repairing dryrotted fabric on outdoor furniture

Stephanie Crist RobyBig26234979Dawn Rodriguez
+25

We have four swivel chairs and a lounger where the fabric has dry rotted and when we sat in them - all of them - we went right through! Does anyone have any money saving ideas for saving these items? They're metal frames, and still in good condition - except for the fabric!
  • Milknhoneycreations

This happened to my chairs as well... so upsetting. following!

• Carole

Replace the fabric seats with wooden slats would be my thoughts on it.

• Sandi

I have almost identical patio chairs and we easily replaced the seat fabric when it got old and ripped. Take each metal side rail off - they just unscrew from underneath - and slide out the fabric. There's a thick rubberish spline holding it in. Use the old torn seat to cut out new ones and hem the sides just as the old ones were . Note that there's a distinct front and back in the fabric seat, this caused me problems initially because I didn't notice until I tried to put new seats together. I found outdoor upholstery remnants at fabricguru.com at very inexpensive prices. Make sure to leave the side hems open at the top and bottom so you can slip the spline back in. Then slide the new seats back onto the seat side rail. Truthfully this was the hardest part since the fabric wanted to bunch up but just persevere! Screw the rails back onto the chair and enjoy!

• Hope Williams

Hi Judith. Go to JoAnns on capital Circle and find a close out or discontinued outdoor fabric screen material. (That's what was used in the first place.) then just replace it. Get coupons off their website too. And wait till a sale is going on. This is key to saving the big bucks. PS. Just up the road from you in T'ville.

• Leslie Hahn-Waldrop

Heres an idea..wood slats....I think someone else mentioned it but this link will help you see what it would look like and instructions. Very cool look if you dont want to do fabric. http://www.hometalk.com/2445917/updating-the-ole-patio-chairs

• Mandy Brown

Sounds like Sandi has the answer. I would only add that you may want to look for outdoor fabric like Sunbrella or similar. Where I live we have a few warehouse discount fabric stores that sell fabric for a lot less than the big name stores. Regular fabrics are not treated to withstand the weather and may mildew if left out.

• E Phillippe

I just purchased some marine canvas, a Sunbrella fabric from Sail Rite........wayyyyy cheaper than fabric stores AND has a ten year warranty.

• Cassie Hames

Good source for discount outdoor fabric is FabricGuru.com

• Matina

Great suggetions!

• Ida Granny

I replaced my chairs with yarn, " like on the old lawn chairs" . Upholstery would be the easy way to go. Post when you get them done.

• Lynda Dexter

replace the fabric with shower curtains. It is water resistant, sturdy and you can find beautiful patterns.

• Lara Hagerty Kristof

Have you done this? It is sturdy enough? I would be afraid it wouldn't hold up on chairs such as the picture above when someone sat it them.
  • Norma Granados

My son had the same problem with aluminum chairs. he used a 1x3 PVC board that has wood like look, he cut the board at the same chair width and separated the boards with two Scraps of the same 1x3 to make it even the space between the boards. He predrill the boards and the aluminum chairs using Stanley steel screws attach the board to the chairs.

• Cindy Nelson

I have almost the exact same 4 chairs. They were left when my renter moved, so I took them. Was wondering how to replace the torn, rotten fabric. Acquired some faded square lawn cushions from my neighbor. So here goes....paint chairs, put down metal slats (husband does metal work), and paint the cushions with waterproof paint. Instant makeover! Thanks for all the bloggers' ideas.

• Dawn Rodriguez

How about macromay? Not spelled right!

• Big26234979

I took the chair apart ,then wrapped a strip of shower around the frame 3 times put screws back in. ( the screws actually hold the fabric on my chairs). I used more fabric by wrapping several times, but this kept me f r om having to sew!
  • Stephanie Crist Roby

What's a strip of shower?