Roni
Roni
  • Mastic Beach, NY

From Buffet to Rustic Kitchen Island

We were asked by some very special people to make them a kitchen island. They just finished renovating their entire kitchen and needed a table and island in one. Since we knew them I knew exactly what her style was...rustic! I knew she would love a barnwood top and I was going to find some! Look what happened next...
From this boring buffet...
From this boring buffet...
We were asked to make a kitchen island with a long list of needs that went along with it. We knew it wouldn't be an easy task but we were sure up for the challenge.
Here's the list:
1- It needs to be table height not counter height
2- Wheels so it can be moved when they need it to be.
3- They want it to be 48" square so 4 people can sit at it like a table.
4- They want the middle to be open with shelves.
5- Chicken wire doors
6- Wainscoting on the back and sides (which is normally what we add to the back of islands anyway)
7- A real rustic top....barn wood!!! :)
8- Different handles
9- It will also need a pedestal behind to support the top.
from buffet to rustic kitchen island, kitchen design, kitchen island, painted furniture, repurposing upcycling, rustic furniture
My husband and I took it all apart. The top is off because we will be adding a new one. The back is off too because that will have wainscoting. The middle door wasn't functional...the 2 side doors opened and there was 1 shelf going across the entire piece that needed to be taken out. Next the dividing "walls" will go up to separate into 3 individual spaces since the middle will be opened up all the way through.
Now the dividing walls are in place.
The panels to the doors were removed for the chicken wire! You can see one of the previous owners just spray painted it white...notice where the handles were...lol
The wainscoting was added to the back and sides and it's now painted too!
I always like to paint the bottoms of pieces too,just so it's clean! ;)
We added wheels on the bottom and you'd never know it...it's barely off of the ground! :)
Working on the barnwood top....LOVE the edge on this one...purposely picked this board because of it! :)
I'm totally in love with this top!!! Now the boards are all put together and cut to the right size, next it needs to be polyurethaned...with the good triple thick stuff! lol
Well the top is finished...chicken wire doors done...my husband put dividers and a liner in the drawer. I painted it, sanded it to give it a distressed look and then glazed over it. We added new knobs too. The frame around the table is also barnwood and we added hooks on the sides to hang towels or potholders. Did you notice the shelf....yes barnwood too! :D
to this gorgeous rustic kitchen island!!!
Well, we nailed it! To see more of this fabulous makeover head over to Roni's Rescued Relics on Facebook.
We made a pedestal to support the back part of the table.

To see more: https://www.facebook.com/RonisRescuedRelics

• Mary Jaskot

Hi, how did you get that finish? what colors did you use? How did you get it to look that way?

• Roni

Hi, Mary! Well first I sanded it to distress it but it just wasn't enough, so I went over the entire piece with General Finishes Van Dyke Brown Glaze, heavier in some areas than others until I was happy with it. :)

• Roni

Hi, Mary. I usually use Annie Sloan chalk paint, it was either Old Ocre or Country Grey, I'm leaning towards Country Grey. I also used General Finishes Van Dyke Brown glaze over it.

• Lindsey

I would like to know about the colors also. Did you use any stain, and the polyurethane you mentioned...what type is the triple thick stuff?

• Roni

The triple thick stuff is Varathane triple thick satin polyurethane. For the most part we didn't stain it, only the parts that needed to be sanded down a lot, we just played around with different stains to blend it. I can't remember exactly what color I used on it, I mostly use Annie Sloan chalk paint, so either Old Ochre or Country Grey...I also used General Finishes Van Dyke Brown glaze on it.

• Roni

Hi, Lindsey. I usually use Annie Sloan Chalk Paint, so it was either Old Ocre or Country Grey. I also used General Finishes Van Dyke Brown glaze over it. As far as staining the top, we only stained parts which had to be sanded down a lot, then we were just playing around with different color stains to blend it in. The polyurethane we used was Varathane triple thick satin finish. :)

• Cathy

What are the dimensions of the original buffet bottom?

• Michele

Is the pedestal also on wheels?

• Roni

No, there aren't any wheels but there are gliders. 😊

• Patricia Brewer

Is the pedestal attached to the underside, or is it just floating? BTW this is FABULOUSLY GORGEOUS!

• Jolie Catherine

this is exactly what i have been looking for. do you have a website or store? i would love to talk about custom making something very similar to this model! thanks - jolie

• Michelle Theleman Woods

What did you coat the barn wood with?

• Penny W

This is exactly what my daughter needs in her small kitchen. It would provide more storage and incorporate a table. Absolutely love this! Would you mind sharing the dimensions...height, width, size of top? Beautiful piece! Thanks so much for sharing!!!
    • Roni

Hi, Penny! Thank you! It was 48" square and I believe it was about 33-34" high.
  • Amy Montesi Chase

Do you have a website store, that is exactly what we care looking for.?

• NYDeb

Try her FB page, link is shown right above here.

• Sharon L Rabideau

Where did you get the barnwood? It came out beautiful!

• Cheryl Pfirrman

What kind of poly did you use on the top?

• Roni

It was so long ago, I don't remember what brand it was. I know it was a triple thick poly.

• Hav31672802

Beautiful job. We just added barnwood (from our old barn) to the back on an in-wall entertainment center, and the carpenter used white matte polyurethane, which really brought out the brown shades of the wood. Thanks for sharing!

• Cheryl Pfirrman

Thanks for responding.

Beautiful job.

• Dlagardens

Beautiful. Any suggestions for making it bar height?

• Lorie Fletcher

BEAUTIFUL! Better than anything at a furniture store but concerned the dimension of the top being able to fit thru door?

• Marilla Waltrip Monroe

Did you also put a wheel on the pedestal?

• Margaret E

Is the pedestal also on wheels? It looked like it was flush to the floor.

• Margaret E

• Margaret E

• Arlene

I see a picture of the item upset down to paint and put the rollers on.

• Margaret E

• Janice

It is! She said they placed wheels on the piece so it could be moved, since the table top is attached to the pedestal it will all move as one unit. Read the steps in the process of the project...she says they installed the wheels and they are barely visible. .

• Jane E.

Did you also place a roller on the pedestal under the table ?

• Eileenmarie

Perfection! I want to try this with a piece I have. I don't have your skills, so a few areas of question remain (excuse me if they are really "duh!" questions). How did you adhere the table top to the island? (Where'd you find the wood, too?) And how exactly did you make the pedestal? I think using the glides underneath it was a stroke of brilliance.

• Roni

Thank you! Ok, the top, you'll see when you remove the top that is on yours, there a blocks attached to the inside that then you screw into the new top...we always add more blocks though, glue and screw them to the very top of the inside so its level, then glue and screw the new top to them from the inside. We bought our wood from someone in our area that buys old barns and takes them down. As for the pedestal, there are so many different options, get creative! You can go to a Home Depot or Lowes and look at the wood section for posts or columns. You can use a tree stump, which was one of our ideas, but the customer wasn't crazy about it..Lol Get creative, think outside the box! 😉

• Eileenmarie

I'd love to craft one out of birch branches on a pedestal base, which color would look very good with the table you've done. Now if I can figure out a way. Thanks for the help.

• Carmen Mack

I like the idea, but with a drop leaf for the top, so when I need thr countertop space, it's there; but when it's not needed, it's put pf the way. Can design adapt to that?

• Carmen Mack

• Carmen Mack

• Carmen Mack

• Roni

Of course, everyone has their own likes and needs. This was made specific for our customers needs.

• Ann

Is the pedestal on wheels also?

• Ann

Is the pedestal on wheels also?

• Roni

No, there are gliders underneath the pedestal.

• My caren

love it but what was the total cost of this make over? Don’t need the cost of the base piece of furniture and paint just the add ins!

• Bobbie Ramsey

How did you cut the center out of the cabinet doors?

• Roni

I believe on this one there was a separate panel that we were able to just pop off of each door. Otherwise hubby would cut it out with a jigsaw. 😊

• Suzy Googoo

This is FANTASTIC WORK. I’m doing this for my kitchen. What’s the minimum space you need to have around the island?

• Landsharkinnc

does the pedestal also have a wheel? can the wheels 'lock' so the entire piece doesn't just roll around when it's bumped into or people are using it?

• Roni

The pedestal has gliders underneath. Yes, the wheels lock. 😊

• ALEANA

I really like this project. Awesome job. While I'm not going for the rustic look, I do have a couple of questions:

How high is this off the floor, i.e. where you put the casters? My location requires clearance for a floor vent.

I am thinking of doing a top that extends on one side. I am looking at it possibly being the height for bar stools or something along that line. Would it be better to use something else instead of a buffet? Thanks.

• Roni

Thanks. We kept it low to the ground so you wouldn't know the wheels were underneath, maybe 1/4" or so. To do it bar height you'd definitely need to start with a taller piece.

• Kerry

love this going to try it!! what size of barn planks did you use and how did you butt them up to each other?? As I tore down a barn and have these on hand

• Roni

They were pretty wide, I think about 16"W. Hubby put dowels and glue to attach the boards together.

• Donna Denson Prestage

This is beautiful. Could you put a cooktop in this?

• Susan Harris Seeley

You could, but you would have to run electric/gas up through your floor and no wheels. Anchor the cabinet to the floor.

• Tcs

What's the yardguard for?

• Lane

How was the pedestal made?

• Roni

There are many different ways from using a column to a tree stump. This couple didn't want it to seem "heavy" so we went with 4 spindles in between 2 big square wooden blocks. We drilled holes in the base and set them in it. Then we attached the top block to the under side of the table top. We added gliders underneath so it moved easily when they wanted to roll or move the island. It worked perfectly. 😊

• Lane

Thank you so much for the info great idea

• Jean

Could you use corbels on each end instead of the column?

• Kim Sobaszek

I see you painted the piece but how did you distress the finish?

• Roni

I used a glaze by General Finishes over the paint.

• Kim Sobaszek

Love it! Thanks - didn't know if it was dry brushed or glazed.

• Jean

Could you use corbels as supports on each end instead of the column?

• Roni

The overhang sticks out too far for just corbels. It would definitely tip over without support under it. If the top wasn't as big corbels would work.

• Christy Roppel

Are the wheels locking? Wouldn't it be a pain to lift to unlock the wheels when wanting to move the piece?

• Joanne

Awesome ❤️

• Joanie

This makeover looks so rich lookin'.......otherwise, like you paid a lot of money for it!! I love it!!