DIY Built-in Range Hood Cover. Cover Your Existing Hood for $20!!

While updating my kitchen on a shoestring budget- I did the entire thing for $800 -http://onblissstreet.com/2015/03/kitchen-transformation-for-800-with-tutorials.html - I needed to cover my ugly almond range hood that never looked clean in my new white kitchen. I couldn't pay $500 or more for a custom range hood, so I figured out a solution that made it look like I could! For only $20!
I cut all of the pieces first. My cut list and dimensions cover a standard range hood. My cover ends up being 30″wide, 7″ deep and 9″ tall. You essentially going to be making a 3 sided box. You can see that the dark brown pieces of lauan are the front and sides. The light colored boards are the trim.
For my supply and cut list- please go to my blog. Many more details are there!
Trim out the the side and front pieces of lauan with the cut trim pieces. I attached with wood glue and brad nails.
I used a scrap 1"x 1" piece of wood to cover the corner edges.
Attach sides to front using wood glue and brad nails. You will have a 3 sided box now. Still isn't very pretty, but we're getting there.
I added a 1 x 2 to the counter above my range hood to act as a cleat to attach my box to. You can make this permanent or temporary if you live in an apartment.
I attached my 3 sided box to the cleat using screws on the side.
This is a view from the top. You can see that there is room to reach up and use the controls. Or if your a bit taller like my husband, he can just reach above.
I used lauan strips to create planks for the front of my cover, but you could use anything you wanted. Moulding, trim, or smooth.
What do you think of this simple way to cover an ugly necessity? At least our range hood was ugly in our white kitchen!
Stop over to my blog and check out what other ideas and projects transformed my kitchen for only $800!

OnBlissStreet

• Christy Bishop

I’m definitely doing this! Now I can have my farmhouse kitchen in my rental! Yay!

• Lisa West

Very beautiful. Great job. Thank you for sharing. Love it.