Fix Chipped Concrete Steps

Do you have concrete steps that are starting to chip away? Here is a way that you can repair your concrete steps.
First remove all the chipping concrete with a wired brush or putty knife. Then cleaning the entire surface with soap and water, rinse the area with a garden hose with a sprayer attached (if you have a power washer use that).
Next gather your supplies: concrete mix, trowel, water, bucket, and spray bottle with water. Only mix enough concrete that can be applied within 5 minutes (follow instructions for concrete), lightly spray the area with water then apply concrete using the trowel.
TIP: We used a scrap board to help apply and form the concrete, straight edge...
UPDATE: You can add a bonding agent to the new mixed concrete or apply it to the old concrete before applying the new concrete. This will help the new concrete bond to the old. I decided to not use the bonding agent to see how well the new concrete would hold up without it. You can also drill holes into the old concrete then attach an anchor to help hold the new concrete. Others have comment that you could just drill the holes or add rebar to the drilled holes. Hope this helps!
After concrete dries slightly, form the concrete and brush with a cheap paint brush.
UPDATED: Brushing with the paint brush gives the concrete a textured look and helps the concrete to be less slippery.
After 24 hours you can walk on the area. The whole process took a couple of hours and cost less than $20. Which is a lot cheaper than replacing the whole step...
See the process in more detail at Two Feet First.
UPDATE 6/2016- See how the steps are holding up one year later, here.

Megan {TwoFeetFirst}

• Mary Insana

I wonder how this would work on steps pitted from using rock salt in the winter?

• Nancy Wagner

Can I do this to the cracks in my driveway?

• Jessie

If you can fix steps this way how can I fix my pool patio with this. There is about a 1" drop from a crack and very small cracks other places

• Donna

I have a large 10x 20 ft concrete patio that previous owner painted and also has about 4 big cracks about 2 in wide. Is this possible to repair? Don't have the money to replace it
  • Carol Cole

VERY NICE, well done. Thumbs Up.