Red, White, and Blue Yarn Hanging

I have been totally obsessed with yarn hangings since they first started popping up and couldn't wait to make one of my own. I'm working on fixing up our screened porch and wanted to add some summer decor, so this was the perfect time to try out my own version of a yarn hanging with a flag inspired Red, White, and Blue Yarn Hanging.
All I needed for this was a dowel rod, scissors, red, white, and blue yarn, and a measuring tape (although you could eyeball it!).
I cut many (many) lengths of yarn at about 50 inches each. My yarn hanging was inspired by the flag so I started looping the blue yarn on the left hand side of the rod. (For my yarn looping technique, please check out my blog post!)
I filled roughly 1/3 of my yarn hanging space with the blue and then switched to the stripes. I did the full 13 red and white stripes and used eight strands of yarn per stripe. I hung it with another length of yarn tied on either end of the dowel.
I debated trimming up the yarn hanging. To be honest, I liked the uneven ends, but decided to give it a clean finish. I had ended up with a bit of an angle on the blue, so cut it that way.
I'm really happy with how it turned out and it's a great addition to my summer porch decor!

Albion

• Donna Stewart

Won't the wind cause it to tangle? And how will u keep kids little fingers out of it.. I think it would be a invitation for kids at my house,,but it is really pretty

• Albion

I had this hanging on our screened porch, so the wind wasn't terrible. If it got a bit messy, it just took a minute to run my fingers down the yarn to straighten it out. Honestly, my girls didn't touch it. It was a bit high for them, so that probably helped! I'll tell them to leave it alone this year and hopefully that will be the end of it. I hope that helps! And thank you!

• Pat Corcoran Hotle

I love this idea the only thing I would do different is the blue. I think it needs to be a darker blue. Thanks for the neat idea!
  • Joanie

It is beautiful !!! Try, or do you know already, the stitches in Macrame. I have forgotten them, but there is a book and also on line instructions. My first projects were Hangin' planters......It is quite an art!! I can't see this on your door, the wind will tangle......just tryin' to help.