How to Turn a Wooden Washstand Into a Rustic Kitchen Island

When we saw this piece we knew we had to have it! I loved how unique it was with the glass door, the glass on the side, and the towel bars, etc. We knew we could make it even more fabulous and make it even more useful! :)
This is what we started with....nice but it could be better. Our thoughts were Kitchen Island and we're going for it!!!
First off we wanted big wheels on it so it would roll easily and they also needed to lock so it could be stationary. First my handsome hubby needed to attach a board across the entire bottom...this is a piece of hardwood we happened to have that was a top from an old buffet that he cut to size.
Barnwood!!!! It needs a barnwood top! I am so in love with this stuff, I want to put it on everything!!! lol Hubby got busy and put some boards together. He's awesome! :)
The top was removed from this piece...a frame was built for the overhang. It's upside down now so I can paint it up!
So the entire piece was painted, top to bottom, and we put the top on to see how it looks...AWESOME! :) There's one problem.. :/ ...to me it felt like it could possibly tip over and that is not an option! We couldn't have that happen! So we decided to extend the bottom for more stability and by doing that we can add a footrest! Yes, with more barnwood! Sometimes it's a pain to run into these problems but somehow it always works out for the better! :)
So the boards are added to extend it, barnwood is in place, now the bottom needed to be painted again! Hubby tells me to use some painters tape to make sure the lines are straight....SERIOUSLY! lol We like everything to be neat but after all it IS the bottom! No tape...I can paint straight line!!! lol Sometimes I think we tend to over do it with being neat but better too neat than not neat enough! :)
Not bad...no tape used! hahaha
Love the addition of the footrest! Now, on to the distressing! My favorite part...it gives it so much more character!
Yes, yes, distress, distress, distress! Then wax, wax, wax! lol
The finished product!!! So in love with this! It's distressed, waxed, handles put on, hooks were added to the one side, the top sanded and polyed and ready to go!
We have done many many pieces but this is the one that will break my heart when someone buys it! :(
To see it all come together is the best part!
Great storage in this too!
The back...seats 2 comfortably!
Hooks for cooking utensils, potholders, etc.
See this hole? Perfect place to drop the unwanted veggies off the plate and down to the dog! LOL

Beautify Your Home With These Flower Ideas
The 25 Most-Viewed Mason Jar Projects on Hometalk
Instantly Upgrade Your Living Space With These Amazing DIY Ideas
18 Wintery Wreath Ideas That You'll Want To Make For Your Home

To see more: https://www.facebook.com/RonisRescuedRelics

• Sabina
    Sabina

Can any brand of furniture wax be used? I have an old media cabinet we recently re-purposed into a kitchen buffet that I've painted but haven't put a finish on yet and I really like what you've done. I'd like to be able to walk into a store and pick something up this afternoon and work on it today - it's Buffalo, NY where we're getting hit with a snowstorm six days before spring...again. I don't want to wait for Amazon. Thanks!

, Before and after
    • Roni
      Roni

I would imagine so. I've only used two kinds so far and my favorite is Miss Mustard Seed wax. Its soft and easy to put on, I use an old sock! Lol Some are hard to work with. Some also get a yellow tone if its put on too thick.

• Jeri Walker
    Jeri Walker

what did you use to seal the barn wood top? Or did it miss reading it.????

• Jeri Walker
    Jeri Walker

• Roni
      Roni

It was a triple thick polyurethane, I don't remember what brand it was, might have been Hellman's or something like that. It was years ago. Sorry, best answer I can give you.