What do i do with these closet doors? Add mirrors or ???

Catharine
by Catharine
+19

Looking for update ideas. They are metal and go floor to ceiling

q what do i do with these closet doors add mirrors or
  • FrugalFamilyTimes.com FrugalFamilyTimes.com on Oct 31, 2021

I think they’re lovely. A very classic design. What about just painting them? Maybe a bold color like black or navy?

• Judy in Canton. Judy in Canton. on Oct 31, 2021

Those are very nice doors, Unusual to see louvers in steel. If you want to update them I would paint the frames a different color and perhaps put some type of covering on the flat bottom half. Don't know what room these are in or if you have a theme going.

• Kathy Gunter Law Kathy Gunter Law on Oct 31, 2021

Add a glaze to them for additional warmth and depth.

• Debi53 Debi53 on Oct 31, 2021

Pick a beautiful color that you love that works with your decor in that room and spray paint them. Don't try to use regular paint with those louvers. You will have a mess. Use multiple light coats of spray. I would do a stencil inside the square design on the bottom. If you haven't done stencil before, it is so easy. Then splurge and add some truly beautiful knobs that make a statement. You will be amazed at what a change this will make. Your doors will become a feature that I think you will find you actually like! Best wishes for a beautiful outcome.

• Vimarhonor Vimarhonor on Oct 31, 2021

Hello . I agree with the above poster they are classic and a gorgeous design. They have nice crisp edges and would receive paint well. I would consider painting them a different color if you wish a different look. Another idea which may not be your taste would be take some foam board and cover it with fabric in place that in the framing panels.

• Lindsay Aratari Lindsay Aratari on Oct 31, 2021

You could paint them a fun color

• Agnes Chrzanowska Agnes Chrzanowska on Oct 31, 2021

I think they are pretty the way they are .. I would just refresh the to colors that complement your room

• Cheryl A Cheryl A on Oct 31, 2021

paint them would be easiest not sure adding mirrors would give you an updated look most folks are removing any mirrored doors

• Kmdreamer Kmdreamer on Oct 31, 2021

You. Ould paint the trim diffrent colors and make it fancy,fancy door knobs

• These doors are just amazing. I actually really love them! I think it would be best to add warmth to these by glazing them.

• I think it's going to depend on your taste and what's around them, what your goals are for the space. Painting them is likely easiest though you could likely stick some fabric over the louver section or in the flat panel.

• Em Em on Nov 01, 2021

Not awful. Paint them and add wall paper panels you cut to size with prepasted wall paper. So easy, soak and put up inside the lower panels.

• Mogie Mogie on Nov 01, 2021

10 Amazing DIY Bifold Door Makeovers to Update a Drab Closet Door

https://dreamdesigndiy.com/bifold-door-makeovers/

• Redcatcec Redcatcec on Nov 01, 2021

You could also paint them and add wood transfers to them to fancy them up, here you go, click on catalog:

https://ironorchiddesigns.com/iod-products/

Stenciling also comes to mind.

• Flipturn Flipturn on Nov 02, 2021

I am not a fan of bifold doors as they take up floor space both inside the closet, and in front of the closet.

If you do not like the doors as they are now, instead of spending money and time trying to transform them (paint is not inexpensive) I would suggest to sell them or give them away to a 'better home', then put the money towards purchasing updated styles of bypass sliding doors. These doors save floor space and allow for greater accessibility to the interior of the closet.

Here are some examples:

• Deb K Deb K on Nov 02, 2021

Hi Catherine, there a some great ideas out there to spiff these doors up, you could start by painting them a great color, you can adorn the smooth lower parts with a nice peel and stick, and yeas you could add mirrors to them. Here are some more ideas for you to check out,

• Sharon Sharon on Nov 02, 2021

You could paint the edges around the panels, and then get foam core or veneer panels and cover them with something more creative than mirror like grass cloth, removable wallpaper in a bamboo print, wood grain print, cool art print and wrap the veneer or foam core pieces and stick them on with some velcro. I would pick up a color from the panels to paint the surrounding area.

• Catherine Deirdre Rodden Catherine Deirdre Rodden on Nov 05, 2021

Not sure if that is a closet or a laundry room behind the doors. If a laundry room, you'll still need the slats for air flow so I'd go with the paint suggestions. If it is a closet, you could easily cover them in anything from fabric to wallpaper to foam board that can be painted or wooden veneers.

I think replacing the base boards near the floor and maybe framing the opening with something will change the look significantly.

• Kmdreamer Kmdreamer on Nov 06, 2021

You could paint them and put pretty paper in the pannels on the bottom like wall paper or contact paper

• You could give them a faux wood finish with paint.

• Mogie Mogie on Nov 13, 2022

Or take these out and add 2 sets of standar double doors.

• Mogie Mogie on Dec 12, 2022

louvered doors look dated replace them with double doors.