Pallet Deck With Fire Pit
I am totally exhausted so apologies for not posting sooner. The weather is wet and freezing here which has also held things up..
Its now 1am so forgive me if this is lacking any info , any questions and il try my best to reply asap.
I wanted something in my garden to sit my pallet bench on cos it kept getting full of crawlies!, that's how this started..
I could not afford proper decking boards or decking tiles but the tiles gave me the idea to use pallets instead.
First I laid the pallets out to get an idea of what size deck i wanted, i decided on 3x4 pallets, this works out to aprx 10x11ft. I marked it out with string and then started to dig, the ground is sloping and i didn't want the deck so high i'd be literally peering down at my neighbours.. once the ground was dug i placed the pallets in again to check the level.
I had also used ducksback 5 yr protection (forest oak) on all the pallets to give a bit longer protection.
Once it was dug and level i laid tarp ,pierced a few holes for drainage and the the long job of getting the gravel (1 ton!) from the front garden ,down the alleyway to the back garden myself and my wonderful 15 year old son for over two hours took turns shovelling, filling and emptying, going back and forth we really kicked some gravel butt that day!.. what a workout!
When it was time to lay the pallets i soon realised it would be easier if i didn't have to lay them one at a time, so i bought 6 lengths of deck boards and I ran the boards along both sides of 4 pallets, attaching them all together with deck screws. I definitely think this helped give it added strength.
I did the same with the next 2 rows but left the middle of the deck to last.. i had a little extra plan for this..
I had to use blocks to sit one end on, no big issue as i intended to put a step on this end which would cover any messy looking bits.. maybe a bit of a bodge job but i checked google all the way through this project and google said it was fine.. blame google
I also used some old bricks and broken pavers under some of the framework wherever support was needed. we had found a lot of the bricks during digging!
We laid it all except the very middle two pallets
I cut a pallet in half n laid them either side of the hole in the middle, that left me with one pallet-sized hole right in the centre of the deck.
I had also been lucky enough to have a neighbour close-by that was tearing down their brick shed!.. they let me have as many house bricks as i needed, i had well over 500 by the end! I used some of these to build the fire pit in the middle of the deck, we laid them two deep so there would be plenty insulation from the fire to the outside of the pit.
we used more pallets to fill the gaps in the deck then painted it all twice with ducksback 5 yr protection
After painting the deck we built up the rest of the pit just by stacking the bricks carefully, everything i had read said it was good to have gaps so the fire gets enough oxygen but not so embers can escape..
i attached a step by ordering 3 more deck boards. i attached thick blocks of wood to the underside of the deck (screwing into the blocks on the pallets) a blcok on the corner of each pallet and one in the middle, then just screwed the deck boards to these and then painted. The step on the left side is wonky.. i know but i dont have the energy..lol.. its tricky getting it to sit right when its on sloping ground..
This pic is before i attached the step. I still have a few gaps to fill on the back right hand side but i am soo pleased with how its turned out , we actually have already used it (i thought i'd have to wait until next summer after all that! lol) but we tested it out on firework night and if i say so myself it was great! the fire pit works im pleased to say
I know i probably as usual have not put enough detail.. im hoping the pics explain the most part. I am hoping to get a pic of the deck and garden all tidy and finished as soon as the weather clears up. For now, its late..im soo tired and tomorrow i am re-decorating a feature wall in my living room!.. Hope you like the project il check back in soon as i have a moment for any question you might have.
(i think i have now edited out any mistakes about 'creosote but just to be clear i used ducksback 5 year protection in forest oak, i have previously used creosote (SUBSTITUTE) on projects it was 2am when i finished writing this post originally hence the odd mistake sorry all hope this is ok now)
Resources for this project:See all materials
Any price and availability information displayed on [relevant Amazon Site(s), as applicable] at the time of purchase will apply to the purchase of this product.
Hometalk may collect a small share of sales from the links on this page.More info
Published November 7th, 2017 9:33 PM