Asked on Apr 01, 2018

Putting a hard top on my gazebo

Kathryn
by Kathryn
I have a gazebo and want to remove the canvas top and replace it with a hard top

• Cynthia H Cynthia H on Apr 01, 2018

If the company you purchased it from doesn't make one for it, make sure that any weight you are going to put on it will be safely supported. Some frames just aren't strong enough.

• Johnavallance82 Johnavallance82 on Apr 01, 2018

You will need a number of cross timbers fixed in place before you could lay anything on it. i assume it is wood and could take the weight of a hard top roof.

• Kathryn Kathryn on Apr 09, 2018

No they are steel posts and I don't think it would be strong enough for a hard top. I might as well go and just buy one. Thanks for your help!

• Chas' Crazy Creations Chas' Crazy Creations on Apr 01, 2018

Here is a video that might help - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KoNMl5ugU_0

• AmAtHome AmAtHome on Apr 01, 2018

Here's a video of someone doing a replacement: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KoNMl5ugU_0

• DesertRose DesertRose on Apr 02, 2018

Use the supports for the canvas and put up light weight plywood, then tar paper it and shingle it. That should be pretty easy approach for your need. Hope it all goes well!

• Kathryn Kathryn on Apr 09, 2018

Thanks but I think I'm going to just go out and buy a new one.

• Jewellmartin Jewellmartin on Apr 03, 2018

Check your city codes to see what is allowed. My city allows arbors and pergolas, but gazebos have to match the house’s shingles and design. Canvas and plastic are not allowed. ☺️

• Darlene Lewis Darlene Lewis on Apr 09, 2018

mine has a metal roof....I don"t have any problem .I also have my gazeebo hard wired and screened in with a screen door that locks on the inside and slide bolts on the outside.HURRICANE IRMA knocked the door off on one hinge.......I had a handyman put it back on the hinge.

• Kathryn Kathryn on Apr 09, 2018

That's a good idea, I will look into it before I make my purchase