How do I get rust off of my aluminum baking pan??

Carol Bloom
by Carol Bloom
+11
  • Redcatcec Redcatcec on Sep 19, 2021

Method 1: Vinegar + Lemon Juice

Acidic products are very effective in getting rid of rust on all metals. Vinegar and lemon juice are both acidic enough to dissolve the rust formed on the surface of baking pans.

For this method, you can use either vinegar or lemon juice (or mix one part each) to soak the rusted areas on your baking pan. Leave it on for a few minutes and you’ll see the rust dissolve. For more stubborn rust, try using white vinegar.

Rinse your baking pan thoroughly after the rust has fully dissolved as you don’t want the acid to continue dissolving the metal.

If your pan is made of a more delicate material or with a nonstick coating such as teflon, dilute your acidic solution with equal part water so that the acid doesn’t damage your pan. You can also oil your pan after removing the rust to condition it for future use.

ref:https://bakinghow.com/remove-rust-baking-pan/

• Cheryl A Cheryl A on Sep 19, 2021

wash the pan off sprinkle with baking soda and let it sit a few minutes then use a soap pad to scrub it off

• Maura White Maura White on Sep 19, 2021

You could try a product like this: https://amzn.to/3tVmlm8

• Carol Bloom Carol Bloom on Sep 20, 2021

I'd have to research further to make sure it is a product safe for baking pans or other cooking surfaces and safe in contact with food. I assume you can clean the pan after using this product, but it does not list such in this description. Thanks. Another answerer did mention a rust remover.

• Mogie Mogie on Sep 19, 2021

How to Clean Oxidized Aluminum Pans (4 Easy Ways)

https://worldofpans.com/how-to-clean-oxidized-aluminum-pans/

• Dee Dee on Sep 19, 2021

• 1. Rinse the pan and shake it dry - do not wipe with a towel because you want it to be slightly damp. 2. Dust it lightly with baking soda (it should stick because of the remaining water), making sure you cover the spots that are rusting. 3. Leave the dusted pans for about half an hour. 4. Clean the pan gently with a scourer making sure you get rid of all the rust leaving just the exposed metal underneath. 5. Rinse the pan to get rid of all the baking soda and towel dry it. 6. To make sure your pan doesn't rust again coat it with cooking oil. Tips:The pans build up a layer of oil, so don't panic if there is some residue.
    • Follow the steps above once or twice a year to avoid rust.
    • Skip the dishwasher if you want to avoid rust and just clean the pans lightly after use.

• Flipturn Flipturn on Sep 19, 2021

How old is the pan?

As all baking pans are not created equally, unfortunately, at some point in time due to being exposed to the high heat of an oven, plus food particles, the finish on the pans either wears off, or is burnt off. Once rust begins to start showing, although it may be possible to temporarily remove the rust, it most likely will keep reappearing.

Time to retire the sheet, and purchase a new one.

• Kathy Gunter Law Kathy Gunter Law on Sep 19, 2021

Steel wool pad can be used to scrub it off. Then clean well and make sure each time you wash it, you dry. I put mine in a warm oven to make sure they are dry.

• Betsy Betsy on Sep 20, 2021

Hi Carol: What I use is a Brillo Pad, soap and water. Scrub lightly until the rust is gone and then I coat it with some cooking oil, rub it off and re=apply and then heat the baking pan on 350 for about 30 minutes, let cool and rub the oil off again, leaving a really thin coat. Then, when I use it again, I wipe it down, and if the recipe calls for greasing the pan, I will do that. After washing, I re-coat it with a light coat of oil and wipe it off again and put it away. This has worked for me for years. Just be sure to have it completely dry before oiling it again.

Good luck

• Kmdreamer Kmdreamer on Sep 22, 2021

Brillo will get it off.

• Homeroad Homeroad on Sep 23, 2021

I just tried a product called Pink Stuff https://amzn.to/39xK4iM . The paste works like a Mr. Clean magic eraser.