How well would an iron-on patch?

+8

Work if you ironed 2 together, glue side facing each other with the hole/tear in fabric in between??

• Personally, I've never had much luck with iron-on patches. You can try it, but I would run a seam around the outer edge of both of them.

• Cheryl A Cheryl A on Dec 06, 2021

it could work but it may start to rise up after washing and drying use fabric glue as well

you can always buy a piece of fabric to cover the hole in the fabric and use fabric glue to put that on

• Dee Dee on Dec 06, 2021

Ironing two together is going to be very bulky and depending on where it is placed can irritate the skin. I would us an applique or purchase some fabric to fix the item.

• William William on Dec 06, 2021

Might work if the patches are thin and smooth. I would use E6000 Fabric Fuse adhesive along the edges. Then iron them.

• Betsy Betsy on Dec 06, 2021

Hi Mark: It should work, but it will be a bit stiff. Just make sure the patch is at least 1 inch larger, all around, than the hole. Follow the directions on the package. Cut the fuzzy edges off of the hole so that it's clean as it will stick better. And, as an extra security bit, I'd sew around the outside of the hole, on the patch, to keep it from falling off. You can get flexible iron on patches from Walmart that may be more comfortable, depending on where the hole is. Here's a site that tells about how to use the patches. https://www.thesprucecrafts.com/iron-on-a-patch-1106106

Good luck

• Janice Janice on Dec 06, 2021

It should work rather well depending on how much wear will be put on the patch area. Years ago before torn knees on jeans was fashionable, I often patched my children's jeans' knees with iron patches. If they didn't work well, I then sewed a line of stitching around the perimeter of the patch.

• I usually add some fabric glue to it around the edges after I iron it on to secure it more.

• It might work though you should test it out first using similar fabric and patches. Make sure to wash the test piece and run it through some paces to see.

• Deb K Deb K on Dec 08, 2021

Hi Mark, it won't last, you are better off to iron on then stitch it either by hand or machine to make sure it stays in place.

• Flipturn Flipturn on Dec 09, 2021

If you are trying to put two iron-on patches against each other in a place on a garment that bends or on fabric that stretches, the double patch scheme will not hold.

• Mogie Mogie on Dec 17, 2021

For me the best way to make sure an iron on patch adheres well is to stitch around the outside of the patch. Just seems to make it more secure.