For a paper bag floor, how many coats of polyurethane do I need?

Instead of using paper bags or pages from books to cover a floor I'm going to use wall paper. How many coats of sealer do I need ? It's a dining room floor. What should I seal it with? What is the cheapest way to do it and still be durable? Also, can I still use the elmer's glue under and on top of the wall paper, like I would for the paper bag floor?

• Sharon Sharon on Jun 22, 2018
    I think I would take a piece of plywood and test out your wallpaper and gluing, and if that goes well, then test how many coats of non-yellowing polyurethane will be needed. You don't even know if this is possible with wallpaper cause the whole thing with the brownpaper is it can be saturated with the glue, hold together while smoothing out, and dry smooth. Wallpaper depending on what its made of, what coating and chemicals its treated with may respond totally different ----- test first.

• Emily Emily on Jun 22, 2018
    I have never glued wall paper to a floor but I did use wallpaper border on two thresholds out of my kitchen. I used Elmers to glue it and about 6 coats of polyurethane. It has held up well, but I should have kept up doing the poly over time as it is getting worn now.

• Chloe Crabtree Chloe Crabtree on Jul 05, 2022

Here are all kinds of tutorials and success and failure stories from Hometalkers about paper bag flooring: https://www.hometalk.com/search/posts/?filter=paper%20bag%20flooring