My mother-in-law remodeled her bedroom and offered us her bedroom room furniture. It’s beautiful quality, as most older furniture is, but quite dated. I’m not always a traditional furniture girl but I can’t turn down free hood quality furniture.
When I decided to start my bedroom refresh, I knew I wanted to include at least the nightstands from my mother-in-law so let’s get going.
- First I cleaned the piece really well. My mother-in-law keeps things pristine so I just needed a light cleaner.
- Remove the hardware - in this case, I taped off the hardware because I was unable to remove some of them.
- Apply deglosser to the whole piece to remove the gloss.
- Clean the piece again
- Apply two light coats of a quality primer. Some people love rollers for furniture but I am more of a brush girl.
- Between the primer and paint coats, I like to lightly sand with 220 sandpaper and then clean the piece again very well.
- Finally it is time to paint! I like to use fusion mineral paint for easy application and great finish. This piece took 3 coats since it went from really dark cherry to bright white.
- Then comes the top coat- when using Fusion mineral paint I like to use their matte tough coat.
- Now it’s time to pop that hardware back on and style the piece in your room!