How do I hang up tools in garage with no pegboard/other gadgets?

+5
  • Emily Emily on Nov 20, 2019

Hardware stores sell little metal holders you can screw into the walls and then hang your rakes etc. from them

• Mogie Mogie on Nov 20, 2019

When hanging long handled tools—like brooms, rakes, and shovels—in your shop or shed, you can buy brackets made for that purpose, but they can be expensive. A cheaper option is to use plastic pipe hangers available at building supply stores that are made to support PVC pipe.

Simply screw the pipe support hangers to your wall using drywall screws, then hang your tools on them. Watch this video to find out more.

• Betsy Betsy on Nov 20, 2019

Hi Cathy: If you get a long board, about 1" thick and 3 " wide and as long as you want it, as long as it spans a couple of the upright 2 x 4's. Nail or screw this board horizontally across the 2 x 4's, at least 4 feet high. Then, get some long screws, maybe 3 or 4 inches long and screw 2 of them about 2 or 3 inches apart into the horizontal board and hang your tools up between 2 of them, handles hanging down. If you want to use nails, instead, pound them into the narrow board before putting it onto the wall. Otherwise, you risk breaking the board when hammering in the nails. This is pegboard and gadgetless:) Good luck

• Cathy Cathy on Nov 20, 2019

Betsy, what a good idea. I think I’m following you, except for this: as long as it spans a couple 2x4s at least 4 ft high. Does this statement mean to use the stud finder to find two 2x4s vertically (upright) to screw the board onto?

• Betsy Betsy on Nov 20, 2019

Sorry for the confusion:) I didn't know your walls were finished. What I mean is that the board you are going to attach to the wall for hanging the tools should be as long as 2 of the upright 2 x 4's and a little extra. I think the vertical studs should be about 16 or 24 inches apart, depending if it's an interior or exterior wall. If your walls are finished, the first board should be at least 4 feet high. If the walls are finished, I'd put a second board about 3 feet below that to keep the working end of the tool off of the wall. Be sure that the screws or nails go into the horizontal wood to the back and stick out at least 2 inches in front so that the tools can have something to hang onto.

• When I moved into my current house many years ago I had no money left. I just used nails. Then stored head up on the wall. I also had an unused wheeled trash can that I piled stuff into.

• Kathy Gunter Law Kathy Gunter Law on Nov 21, 2019

Can you hang from the ceiling?

• Cathy Cathy on Nov 21, 2019
    Yes but it’s high and not feasible with my condition