How to decorate a small back yard?

+3

I have a small space as a back yard but need help decorating please help

• Abigail Ellis Abigail Ellis on Jan 29, 2019

Hey Zadine! A picture is usually worth a thousand words with something like this, but off the top of my head I'd suggest bringing in some live plants - flowers, herbs or vegetables would be a good place to start.

If you are looking to incorporate any kind of deck-feel or seating, check out how Symea updated her yard! It's a totally new space:

https://www.hometalk.com/diy/grow/landscaping/backyard-transfomation-30944268

Good luck!

• Pamela Pamela on Jan 29, 2019

Hi ! It would help to know about what size ? The area / climate ? And what type of look you like natural , manicured , if you are looking for privacy , or you want an open look ...

• DesertRose DesertRose on Jan 29, 2019

Zadine if you click on "explore projects" then "decorate" then "gardens" or "out door spaces" you will find many helpful ideas. I have chosen one for you: https://www.hometalk.com/diy/grow/flowers/mini-garden-of-flowers-or-how-to-make-a-mini-garden-36566911

• Jeremy Hoffpauir Jeremy Hoffpauir on Jan 29, 2019

Water Fountain and stone pathways always add character to small spaces.

• Robyn Garner Robyn Garner on Feb 02, 2019

The very first thing you need to know is what your "growing zone" is. Google your city and growing zone to find out. This tells you what plants/trees/shrubs will do the best in your area.

First, define a sitting area. You can "define" areas using spray paint, rope, hoses or anything that allows you to mark out where things will go. Your sitting area can be grass or as complex as money/time/effort you want to put into it. Anything from grass to gravel to decking.

Once you know where you will be hosting family and friends to sit, next set out bringing greenery in. If you have a fence or nosy neighbors, do place some tall items around your yard perimeter as well as planning for shade for the sitting area.

For me, I design garden beds from the inside out, meaning close to the house/sitting area then out toward the edges of the yard. After all, you want to enjoy your flowers up close!

If you are new to gardening, start out with either small garden beds and/or containers until you learn the art of gardening. Choose flowers that are in your growing zone and I encourage you to choose perennials as they return each year.

Happy growing! 😎🌼🌸🌻

• Joan Stanley Joan Stanley on Feb 21, 2019

Maybe try a rock garden with large potted plants.