Large storm drain in backyard?

by Andrew

I am buying a new construction home and found a giant storm drain in the backyard. I am looking for solutions to hide it or ideas of what can be done. I never imagined they would put something like this in a residential lawn. I'm worried about the safety of my 4 month old as he gets bigger and wants to explore.

large storm drain in backyard
  16 answers
  • It looks like they haven't finished with it - landscaping-wise. Get in touch with your contractor/builder about it.

  • Cindy Jobe Cindy Jobe on Mar 06, 2022

    I would put a mound of dirt on it and plant flowers.

  • Cheryl A Cheryl A on Mar 06, 2022

    you need to leave the sides open for drainage so you could plant some small plants around it or better yet talk to the builder since this is a safety concern he should fix it

  • Joanne lueke Joanne lueke on Mar 06, 2022

    Definitely contact your builder/developer as to the drainage situation. From your photo it appears that the ground directly behind the houses is much higher than the level of the houses and sloped toward the houses, so some kind of drainage system is required for the entire development. I am sure it is similar to storm drains which you see along the curbs in the streets. Your builder will have all the info you need.

  • Mogie Mogie on Mar 06, 2022

    Is the builder going to finish the landscaping also? You need to contact your building deparment to find out what the codes require in your area. But don't stress over this until you talk with the builder and see what their plans are regarding this.

  • Dee Dee on Mar 06, 2022

    The drain is definitely for draining rain water or heaven forbid flood waters so do not block it in any way. I would talk to your builder and see what kind of covering they are going to put on top of it for safety reasons.

  • Deb K Deb K on Mar 06, 2022

    Hi Andrew, chances are, the contractor will be finishing it up proper, it would be ridiculous to leave it as is in a residential yard. Contact the contractor to see what the plan is.

  • Janice Janice on Mar 06, 2022

    Contact your bilder/contractor immediately to make them aware of your concerns and inquire about what their plan is for your yard. They can likely show you pictures or provide addresses of other homes where there is a similar situation. Be sure to document what is discussed with the contractor and noting the time and date for future reference, if needed. It is good that you noticed this now, rather than before you move into your new home.

  • It is best to contact your building deparment to see what kind of covering they are going to put on top of it for safety reasons.

  • Redcatcec Redcatcec on Mar 06, 2022

    Yes, best to contact the builder, it is unsafe, they need to fix it before an accident happens.

    You might also check with your homeowner's insurance to see what to do about this.

  • William William on Mar 06, 2022

    I agree. Talk to the builder what their plans are. Still a lot of work needs to be done. Voice your safety concerns to him. Check your building department. To me it looks like a low table great for a firepit on top. Wire mesh covering the openings. Some wood chairs/benches with legs cut for the slope.

  • Tom Stuart Tom Stuart on Mar 06, 2022

    Your primary concern is obviously your four year old. The drain doesn’t look like it’s large enough for him to get into it.

    As far as the appearance of it I had a similar object in my yard made out of concrete and I painted it a flat black then put pots around it and never noticed it.

    Check with the builder to see what you can legally do with it.

  • Kathy Gunter Law Kathy Gunter Law on Mar 07, 2022

    You could add a decorative fence around it, like a picket fence, that would allow water to still drain but children can't get into the area. I would think your homeowner's insurance would require some type of fencing. This looks like a serious hazard to me.

  • Mandy Brown Mandy Brown on Mar 07, 2022

    Look at the plat from where you purchased your home. It’s probably located within an easement. If that’s the case then you’re pretty limited on what you can do. It looks as though this is part of a Stormwater system. From the sloped sides I’d say the final grading will have it sitting slightly below normal ground level in order for ground water to flow into the structure. It may be part of a detention area that will have vegetation planted around it to act as a filter for the water before it enters the main structure.

    Its important that you not build anything around it or impede the natural flow of rain water into it, not only because it will alter the effectiveness of the structure, but it could cause problems for you and your neighbors later on.

    Usually these are maintained by a homeowners association or the city/town where you live.

  • Homeroad Homeroad on Mar 11, 2022

    If that metal lid needs to be accessed I think I'd place a moveable fire pit over the top and put chairs around it. It looks like a great platform for this.

  • Mogie Mogie on Nov 07, 2022

    Sounds like you haven't finialized the deal yet have the contactor move or camo it.