How do you keep deer from eating plants?

+8
  • Lisa Lisa on Jun 21, 2017
    There is deer repellent available but if it’s a big bush or tree, some wire would work.

• Sherrill Sherrill on Jun 21, 2017
    Blood meal and animal urine is supposed to work.

• Ginny Ginny on Jun 21, 2017
    I'm not sure you can. A friend told me recently that she has given up putting in annuals because deer consider that the dinner bell has rung and it's time to "come and get it." They don't seem to like loriope or hosta. You might try them as both plants come in veigated and plain green.

• Chickchoc Chickchoc on Jun 21, 2017
    I suggest blending the hottest peppers (like Ghost or Habanero) with water, straining to get a clear liquid, then spraying the affected plants. Only mammals can taste the heat, so insects and birds won't be affected. This won't harm the plants, either. Of course you will have to reapply if it gets washed off and may have to continue doing this for a while until the deer figure out your plants aren't tasty.

• Brandy Grimes Brandy Grimes on Jun 21, 2017
    Years ago when I groomed dogs for a living, people would come by and get our we shaved off the animals aftwe bathing, and spread around the perimeter of their gardens.

• Mia Lugar Mia Lugar on Jun 21, 2017
    You say "Please, dear. don't eat my plants"..or you look up deer-resistant landscape plants on the web

• Nancy Eaton McEwen Nancy Eaton McEwen on Jun 22, 2017
    get some human hair from a salon when they sweep and sprinkle it throughout.

• Victoria Armstrong Victoria Armstrong on Jun 22, 2017
    Marigolds, Have a guy Pee around your yard....deer will stay away from the scent.

• Wanda Dow Wanda Dow on Jun 22, 2017
    They hate the smell of human hair, you can get some at any hair salon or barber shoppe. Also, they hate the smell of human urine, void in a cup and pour around ground or splash on plants...best of all it's free!

• Cin21825342 Cin21825342 on Jun 22, 2017
    Shoot them?! ;-)