How can I keep birds off of my mailbox?

+7

Just repainted my mailbox and metal post black.required color. My neighborhood birds keep landing on my metal post and leaves me a white surprise every day.Anything I can put on my post to keep them off?other then a fake snake?dont think the mailman will like that choice!

• Karen Brunck Karen Brunck on Jul 30, 2019

Hi Eileen. A lovely bouquet of plastic forks, painted black so you're in compliance, glued onto a block of wood or painted cardboard, attached to the entire top of the mailbox with a strip of Velcro,should work. 😊. I've used this for my passenger mirror on my truck, in which the bluebirds love to admire themselves while they poop on the window and door. So far it's been working😊. You could also attach a fake owl instead of a snake.

• HI Eileen,

Here is a link to some reflective tape that may help. Looks like it is designed to keep birds away.

Hope this helps, there isn't much information on line about how to prevent this other then adding spikes. Lauren - The Little Lake Cottage

• Lorraine Lorraine on Jul 31, 2019

I used heavy duty aluminum foil, bunched up and poky looking, on my cars mirror. That worked very well, but I had to keep it on for about a week, just to make sure he went somewhere else. Also I use something reflective like an old CD on a wire, attached to a strong clip and put it on outdoor chairs.

• Within the Grove Within the Grove on Jul 31, 2019

Try keeping a faux owl near your mail box. I did that to scare birds off from eating grass seed I just applied to my lawn.

• Vimarhonor Vimarhonor on Aug 01, 2019

Hello. I had the exact same problem —-it was obvious in our preplanned community that looking up and down the street the mailbox post was the bird toilet. What worked for me was making a thin wire “tassel” ( used thin spool craft wire) and thumbtacked it to the top of the post. The upright wire finger spikes kept the birds away from my mailbox box. The only clean one = now on the street.

• Funnygirl Funnygirl on Aug 03, 2019

Thank you!great idea!

• Tex Tex on Apr 27, 2020

Another thing that works great is a pinwheel from the dollar store. You know, those little cheap windmills what we ran around with as children. Make sure to get one that has some silver to reflect light everywhere. I'm sure you can come up with your own system for attaching it. It's pretty much as simple as duct tape it to the back end of the mailbox. I used these throughout my yard when i reseeded. Pretty soon all my neighbors did the same.

• Annie Annie on Jun 24, 2021

Love the pinwheel answer! It should work and would look pretty as well.

• Lindsay Aratari Lindsay Aratari on Jun 30, 2021

Reflective tape or foil

• Johnavallance82 Johnavallance82 on Aug 25, 2021

How about making a nest of Barbed wire, That should put them off and look cute too!