Sand piles from pavers

Nita Singler
by Nita Singler
little sand piles are popping up between my pavers. Are those ants and how do I fix ?

• Essie Essie on Apr 05, 2018

It does sound like ants. Here's one solution:

http://pestcemetery.com/ants-in-my-pavers-5-rules-of-thumb/

• DesertRose DesertRose on Apr 05, 2018

Yes, it certainly sounds like ants are forming a colony under the pavers. The easiest and most effective way to get rid of ants where you don't want them is with cornmeal. Some plants need ants for them to propagate, so we do not advocate killing all ants, just in areas they are not wanted. When we get ants in our pavers we put out cornmeal. We use Jiffy because it is sweet and they scurry to get it to the nest. It kills the queen and colony. This is true of all ants we have ever known from fire ants to sugar to carpenter. Hope this helps. We keep Jiffy in our pantry especially in spring for new colonies.

• Nan22044289 Nan22044289 on Apr 05, 2018

Hot water

• Tina celeste Tina celeste on Apr 05, 2018

Use 20 Mule Team Borax , it works great for ants . It is a desiccant to them , use when when weather is dry . Sprinkle a small amount in cracks , when they crawl through the borax it sticks to their legs . The ants ingest the borax when they clean their legs . I have used this method for decades ,it is quick and easy , and will not hurt the environment .

• Johnavallance82 Johnavallance82 on Apr 05, 2018

Use Ant killer or Boiling water and then sweep sand back

• Sounds like ants - boiling water should take care of the problem.

• Redcatcec Redcatcec on Dec 13, 2023

I have used the Jiffy and it works well, so does boiling water, just be careful with the water, I use a kettle so it is covered when I carry it out.

• Betsy Betsy on Dec 26, 2023

Hi Nita: Yup, sounds like ants :) I'd make a mix of baking soda and an equal amount of powdered sugar and pour it in and around the mounds. Maybe put some in a jar, with the lid off, near the area, in case it rains, the ants can go into the jar and get the mix. They will take it back to the nest and it should do them in.

• Johnavallance82 Johnavallance82 on Dec 27, 2023

Use Boiling water with salt in.