How would I redo the laminate top of a wooden table?

+8

I plan on painting a wooden table that has a laminate center that has some minor damage. Any ideas?

q how would i redo the laminate top of a wooden table
  • Chalk paint will work well.

• Chas' Crazy Creations Chas' Crazy Creations on Feb 02, 2019

Here is how I redid one of my tables, perhaps this will help get you going ... https://chascrazycreations.com/faux-wood-grain-table/

• Nancy Nancy on Feb 02, 2019

Awesome. Definitely going to try this. Watched your tutorial... from Buffalo, NY. Thank you!

• Glenice hanna Glenice hanna on Feb 02, 2019

Lightly sand , chalk paint, then I would stencil or free hand something on it make sure and seal it .

• Barb Barb on Feb 02, 2019

I did epoxy for a customer. Go to stonecoatcountertops.com

They have very good videos to school you. I have watched mega amounts of their videos on YouTube, and that’s how I got started. I made several practice boards before I ever started a project. Hope this helps!

• Barb Barb on Feb 02, 2019

Gianni countertop works great on formica. Painted my counters 3 years ago they still look like they did day I finished then. Did chip the edge once but just touched up does not show. Check out on line.

• Glenn Glenn on Feb 02, 2019

Remove old laminate with heat gun to help peal, remove all old adhesive then sand smooth. use tack cloth to get all dust from surface. Choose laminate and cut to approximate size. Apply Contact cement with roller evenly to working laminate surface and Table. Use long dowels to keep laminate off of table and lay one end down and use laminate roller to lay down smooth and remove dowels as you lay down and roll laminate. Use trim router to finish edges.

• Judyms9 Judyms9 on Feb 02, 2019

Cover with marbleized contact paper and two or three coats of verithane.

• Michelle Leslie Michelle Leslie on Aug 02, 2020

Hi Nancy, laminate is pretty easy to paint if you prep it well before the time. Probably the most important thing is to sand it so the paint has something to grip onto and wipe it down well afterwards to get rid of any sanding dust. You can also use good deglosser and a primer like Zinsser 123, the the paint of your choice. Sponge rollers work best so there's no brush marks. For small tight corners you can use a brush. Make sure to let the paint dry completely between coats and let the piece "cure" well before adding items, otherwise they may "stick" and lift the paint when removed. Have fun, I'm sure they’ll turn out beautifully