Fix a broken wood under sink cabinets at the bottom of the sink ?

  16 answers
  • You will need to look inside the cabinet to see how to make the repair. You may be able to use a bracket with screws to attach 2 pieces that are broken, or attach the broken piece to the top or side. Without a picture, that's all I can tell you.

    • Em Em on Dec 16, 2020

      Would you really need to look under the sink?

  • Kathy Gunter Law Kathy Gunter Law on Nov 08, 2020

    A photo would help but normally you can either reinforce the shelf or just replace it with shelving board.

  • Janice Janice on Nov 08, 2020

    You may need to measure the shelf and then purchase or have a piece cut to fit. A picture would help us proivde the best advice.

  • Deb K Deb K on Nov 08, 2020

    Hello, you mean the bottom of the cabinet under the sink? You could use some plywood to cover the are that is broken if it is on the bottom, If the countertop under side is broken, sadly you may need to get it replaced. Hope this helps you a bit.

  • Redcatcec Redcatcec on Nov 08, 2020

    Do you have a picture to share, that would be so helpful.

    It sounds like the bottom of the cabinet under the sink broke. You might be able to measure and get a board cut to fit. HD and Lowes will cut wood for customers for free, just no angle pieces. Put the board in where the damaged one was.

  • Flipturn Flipturn on Nov 08, 2020

    Do you know why the wood at the bottom of the cabinet under the sink is broken? If the wood is disintegrated, cracking, or crumbling, then it is most likely due to water having gotten under the wood making it rot.

    If this is the case, then the cause of the water leakage will first need to be addressed, then the rotten piece of wood replaced, rather than patched or repaired.

  • Simple Nature Decor Simple Nature Decor on Nov 08, 2020

    Is the cabinet broken at the bottom, trying to visualize it.

  • Betsy Betsy on Nov 08, 2020

    Hi Amanda: I had a water leak problem and my wood floor under the sinkwas all rotted out. I just got another piece of wood and put it on top of the floor that was there. I got a piece of plywood that was about 1/2 inch thick. It has worked out quite well for several years.

  • Cynthia H Cynthia H on Nov 08, 2020

    Hi! First, something caused the damage. You want to address that first, since it is probably a leak. You can replace the wood, by cutting out the damaged area, or by removing the whole thing so you will have a level, solid floor under your sink. After removing the wood, you should be able to see if the subfloor underneath is also damaged. If it is, you want to repair before covering it back up. Good luck!

  • Mogie Mogie on Nov 08, 2020

    Measure the bottom of the cabinet. Cut a piece of plywood that size. Then cut in half of you need to go get inside the cabinet to test for size. Once t fits tear out the old ruined bottom. Cut 2x4's and attach to the bottom of your 2 pieces of plywood.

  • Johnavallance82 Johnavallance82 on Nov 09, 2020

    Hello Amanda,

    Make a template with Paper and cut a new floor from a piece of timber and slip it over broken base.

  • Ken Erickson Ken Erickson on Nov 09, 2020

    A photo would help.

  • Maura White Maura White on Nov 10, 2020

    It's probably best to just put a new wood board over the old and broken board. Also check for water leaks - that may be the reason why the first one broke.

  • I would measure the wood and then get wood cut at Home Depot or Lowes that will fit. Then, try and paint or stain it to match.