Asked on Jul 31, 2019

How can I repair a ripped couch?

by Fatima

Hello couch ripped need to find solutions.

  12 answers
  • LibraryKAT LibraryKAT on Jul 31, 2019

    You patch it or slip cover it. That tear is not something you can just draw together and stitch back up. :-(

  • Itsmemic Itsmemic on Jul 31, 2019

    pretty simple...either find a matching material and patch it...or a contrasting one to make a statement. If stitching isn't your thing? Use Liquid Stitch....easy peasy !!

  • Karen Brunck Karen Brunck on Jul 31, 2019

    Hi Fatima. If you can find the iron on fabric patches... Place one inside each hole adhesive side up. Use an iron on only the half with the longest tear. Use a strong needle and thread on the opposite side of the tear to start pulling the fabric closed. Make sure to keep the patch under from shifting too much. Once you have it pulled closed, iron the entire patch under the tear until it holds. Stitch along your new tear seams to permanently keep them closed.😊

  • Dorothy Dorothy on Jul 31, 2019

    see if you can salvage enough material from the bottom of the couch even if you have to piece it together and use it to patch.

    Or cut small pc from bottom and go to fabric shop and find close match and make patches. Then make arm covers for both sides to hide patch.

  • Robyn Garner Robyn Garner on Jul 31, 2019

    Yeesh you've got a big rip there! I agree that you need to look high and low on the couch for an area that you can cut some fabric out of. Once you know how large a piece you've got, you can then figure out first, can you make both arms look the same? Is there enough to completely cover the entire tear? If so, turn the edges under and use fabric glue so it will never fray. I agree with Karen to use an iron on patch with the adhesive side UP inside the tear to make the fabric stronger there. Then you can stitch or even better, use iron on adhesive to attach the finish patch. Good luck!

  • Jen Jen on Jul 31, 2019

    I would cut a piece from the back of the sofa,near the bottom and hot glue it on.then cover that bare spot on the back with a similar fabric,also hot glued.

  • Agnes Chrzanowska Agnes Chrzanowska on Jul 31, 2019

    slip cover is your answer! You could get one under $30 at amazon

  • Sharon Sharon on Jul 31, 2019

    That didn't just happen, the fabric has receded over time, so its either make a decorative patch to sew on.... cat on the arm with a tail hanging over the side hole. or invest in a slip cover.

  • 17335038 17335038 on Aug 01, 2019

    With the amount that the fabric has already frayed around the edges of the open spaces, and the thinness of the fabric itself, it will be difficult to try to 'pull' it closer together with stitching by hand.

    I agree that only a slipcover will hide all the damage, plus help prevent further fraying or disintegration.

  • Dee Dee on Aug 01, 2019

    You could get some coordinating fabric from JoAnns and make arm covers for both sides.

  • Ka Man Ka Man on May 14, 2020

    If you’re feeling crafty just try to have some fun with it, but some lace and sew it over the holes. Put before you do you have to take some thread and tighten the ripped fabric as close as you can get it so your couch doesn’t rip any more

    comment photo
    comment photo
  • Johnavallance82 Johnavallance82 on Jan 15, 2021

    Hello there ,

    If you can find a piece of this fabric you can harvest , you could Patch it in by sticking it or sewing it in place. You could ask an Upholsterer to do it for you or to Re-cover the Arms on each side with a Contrast Fabric is the right one is not available.. OR You could buy Covers for Arms. on eBay or other online companies, that will hide the problem. And or you could try and Darn with Wool or Warn or Embroidery Thread. Best wishes.