How do I cut my electric bill ?

+13
  • Mogie Mogie on Apr 19, 2020

If you heat with electricity lower your thermostat by at least 2 degrees or raise it depending on the time of year and if you are cooling or heating your home.

We installed what is called a gray box on our water heater. It is just a fancy timer so your water heater doesn't run 24 hours a day. Ours is on for an hour in the morning and an hour in the evening. Reduced the monthly bill by about $10.

Only wash laundry in cold water and line dry when possible.

Switch to LED light bulbs. They seem to produce more light and use less energy.

Use motion sensing light outside instead of keeping a light on all night. And solar motion sensing lights are even better.

Only run full loads in the dishwasher and washing machine.

Put surge protectors on all major equipment (tvs, etc.). This way you can turn the power completely off when they are not in use. Even in the off position they still draw what are called phantom loads.

Use your crock pot and insta pot more. Takes A LOT less electricity then heating an oven. You can fix stuff from baked potatoes to bread in a crock.

If you are running your tv just for back ground noise try using a radio instead.

Insulate your water heater if possible.

Consider getting or making a solar oven for summer use. Save electricity and use the sun's rays to cook your food.

We took our furnace out and put a wood stove in and love it.

Instead of heating the house at night use an electric blanket.

When something isn't in use turn it off.

A freezer usually works better when it is full and runs or kicks on less.

I am sure I forgot some good ideas. Anyone else?

• Mogie Mogie on Apr 19, 2020

More summer time tips:

Open windows at night to cool the house.

Close windows and drapes to keep daytime sun out.

Use a ceiling fan. They hardly take any energy.

Hang blinds over windows on exterior of home to keep sun out.

There are some great ideas for making custom awnings online.

Check the temp on both fridge and freezer to make sure they are set at the right temp.

Check the temp on your water heater. Our is set to 120 degrees.

To help keep the house cool run things like the clothes and dish washer when coolest.

There are films for sale that not only provide privacy but limit the amount of light entering.

Shower at night so you can open windows for fresh air and not run the exhaust fan.

Place fans in your windows at night to draw cool air inside.

Do not use your dryer if possible they put off a lot of heat.

If you must use your oven fill it with several items. Example, baked chicken strips, baked potatoes (to use as hash browns), scalloped potatoes and the crust for desert all baked in the same oven at the same time.

• Dee Dee on Apr 19, 2020

I am surprised no one told you to check your different electric companies. Our state has several companies and all their rates are different. They range from 6c a KWH to 16c a KWH. Some have added fees so be careful and always check the EFL on the service page to see what best suits your needs.

• Betsy Betsy on Apr 19, 2020

Hi Teri: I keep my house at 65 degrees, summer and winter. I don't use the AC very much, only if it's around 80 degrees out or very humid. Check to see if you have any openings at your windows. An easy way to do this is to get a stick and set it on fire. Let it burn for a minute or so and then blow it out and put it all around your windows and doors and let the smoke show where there is an opening. It will either drift towards you or towards the window/door instead of straight up. Those are the places you need to caulk or put weather stripping. Only turn on lights that you are using and unplug things you aren't using, like your computer, extra tv's, radios, etc. They are vampires. If they have little lights on them that tell you that they are on, they are sucking up electricity :) Also, timers are a good thing to have. The best time to buy them is right after Christmas when they are 1/2 price or more. You can get a brand name timer with 2 outlets for about $4 :) These ideas may help you. Good luck and I hope they do.

• Kelli L. Milligan Kelli L. Milligan on Apr 20, 2020

Our electric co. comes out to your house an does a free assessment for you on how to conserve electricity.

• K. Rupp K. Rupp on Apr 20, 2020

Do you have a heat pump or gas? Heat pumps are VERY expensive depending on where you live. Our bills were through the roof because we had a heat pump and we don't live in the South where heat pumps should be located. We were able to switch to gas and our bills electric bills have been drastically cut. If you have a heat pump and it is plausible to switch to gas...DO IT!!! Good luck!

• Kathy Gunter Law Kathy Gunter Law on Apr 20, 2020

Make sure you don't have any air passing through at doors & windows. Check caulking to make sure it is sufficient and not cracked. If you don't have insulated windows, replacing them will help with lower bills & comfort level. Fans are great in assisting your unit, reverse in the winter to push heat down and normal in summer to pull heat up.

• Morgan McBride Morgan McBride on Apr 21, 2020

Can you add extra insulation?

• Maura White Maura White on Apr 25, 2020

unplug appliances that you rarely use. Make sure you have the most efficient light bulbs. If you use electric heat, turn it down a degree or two and get out some more cozy blankets.

• Axaxi Axaxi on Jul 13, 2020

don't keep the ac running all night long, make sure air passes through doors and windows and if you think you pay some much every month , it’s better to find another supplier. I can recommend a free service that will help you to choose the right supplier for your home. I have tried many different suppliers. And in the end, I was advised to use usave to compare between the suppliers in my area before calling them and ask about options they have. I changed my supplier and now i pay less than before. There are different suppliers there. You can choose the one you like.

• Patty Patty on Jul 13, 2020

Washers and dryers are large consumers of electricity. Use cold water wash, dry as little as possible. Turn diwn water heater. Yurn off dry cycle on dishwasher. Pack your freezer full...even if it is water frozen in a jug. Keep showers to a few minutes (5 or less).