What removable insulation can I use on kitchen windows?

Windows don't quite align across middle when shut. Need winter draft reducer that can be removed in summer. Can't afford new windows right now.

  6 answers
  • All you need is some window weather stripping. Any hardware or home improvement store will have a variety to choose from. Take a photo and take with you so they can help you choose what would work best for your window.

  • Emily Emily on Dec 15, 2017
    Is this a double hung window? And when you say align you mean the lower sash and upper are not meeting exactly? 1) is there a lock for the two windows? Which sash is hanging incorrectly?

  • Cynthia H Cynthia H on Dec 15, 2017
    You can do a couple of things. I have a window I'm waiting to be replaced (a double hung) and it's warped and drafty (I've ordered a window but it hasn't been delivered yet). We duct taped the gap at the top after tightening the window as much as possible. Then, you can cover it with a foam insulation sheet if you don't need the light/view. It comes in sheets and is easy to cut- just wedge/tape in place. If that won't work for you, get a plastic window kit (like 3M makes) where you apply it over the inside (you can also find kits for outside) and hang a curtain that can be closed. That will help you keep warm until you can replace it.

  • Sharon Sharon on Dec 15, 2017
    Go to Dollar Tree, they have weather stripping and those window film kits. I would put weather stripping in the gap, and then put the window film over the entire window on the trim.

  • Pat Pat on Dec 15, 2017
    We have double hung windows....older house.......We put window stripping under the lower window and then put window locks where the two windows meet in the middle ....it pulls the two windows together. Helped a lot.

  • S S on Dec 17, 2017
    my pal uses bubble wrap On her 100+ year old windows! She swears by it!