How to Paint Old Shutters and Use for Decor

Redoux Interiors
by Redoux Interiors
Old wood shutters get a brand new look with CeCe Caldwells Nantucket Spray, and secret no mess distressing tip!
Estate Sale treasures. I found several sets of plain wood shutters. Gave them a new look with a blend of CeCe Caldwells Nantucket Spray and Vintage White
Here is what I started with. Everyone bypassed them. I purchased them for a song!
After the shutters were painted. I used a baby wipe! Distressing is mess free and easy, use a baby wipe and simply wipe the paint off where you want a chippy or worn look.
There is no mess with the wet distress method, and you have way more control than with sandpaper.
Now they look like they came from a beach cottage, not a random estate sale!
Redoux Interiors
Want more details about this and other DIY projects? Check out my blog post!
Frequently asked questions
Have a question about this project?
3 of 10 questions
  • Carol Lindsey Carol Lindsey on Jun 04, 2019

    I purchased 4 old exterior shutters to make into a king size headboard. I stripped 4 layers of old paint and I love the natural distressed finish. I don't want to paint them. But they smell old and musty. Any suggestions how to get rid of the smell? I have sprayed with vinegar and put in the sun to dry out completely . It is better but not yet fresh smelling.

    Carol Lindsey

  • Shayla Shayla on May 14, 2020

    What color was the bed and the accent?

  • Sue Sue on Nov 11, 2020

    Do you wipe the paint off while it's wet or let it dry then wipe?

Join the conversation
3 of 44 comments
  • Biancasmom1 Biancasmom1 on Jan 17, 2018

    I have acquired 2 shutter doors. This one is definitely in the running for the finished product!

  • Carol Lindsey Carol Lindsey on Nov 21, 2019
    I sprayed them with vinegar and set them in the sun daily for weeks. I brought them in while the sun was still out. It took about two months until the odor went away completely. Then I started to build the headboard. It is for a king size bed. I bought extra pieces to add to the sides, top and shelf. I used a liquid aging stain and sanded until they resembled the stripped shutters. I added crown molding and a shelf. It is very heavy so the end of the building (adding legs and extra pieces) was actually done in the bedroom.