DIY Easy Sunburst Mirror

$10

I never thought that it would be so easy to make a sunburst mirror and especially a mirror that would seem nice from very close. The inspiration came from Healthy, Wealthy and Diy's blog to transform a beautiful handmade round mirror that the last three years was hidden in the closet because it doesn't match with our current furniture and decoration. So, I decided to paint it silver and change it to a sunburst mirror in order to hang it over our fireplace. My main problem to this project was that I don't use spray paint because I can't handle their flow and I don't like their smell. Fortunately, the result was very good despite the fact I used acrylics and the bamboo sticks for rays, which here in Greece are the synonym of our famous food "souvlaki", made the project very affordable.
materials
round mirror
small bamboo sticks
white chalk paint
black and silver acrylic paints
brush
paper tape
hot glue and silicone pistol
*** instead of acrylics you can use a silver (or gold) spray paint to make the process less complicated.
step one
I think there are two options in making a sunburst mirror. The one is to choose a round mirror without a frame and neglect this step. Or, you choose a framed round mirror, like me, and if it hasn't the desirable colour, you will have to paint it. With a spray paint, the job is done quickly. Of course, you have to cover the mirror with a round paper taped with paper tape. But, if you aren't a spray fan like me, the procedure would last longer.
Firstly, you will need to paint the frame with a base paint in order to apply the silver acrylic paint above. Here, I used white chalk paint and little black acrylic to make a grey base. When it dried, I painted with a silver paint two times. And, in order to give a textured effect in the surface and to avoid ugly brushes, I took a plastic bag, folded in my hands and pressed it briefly to the frame to make an imprint.
step two
I turned over the mirror and started placing the sticks around it using a paper tape. I agree that this was the difficult part of the project, as I was trying to keep the symmetry. Some of them were moving and falling. When I placed all the sticks - I needed less than on bag - I started gluing them with hot glue.
step three
When the glue dried, I painted the sticks silver with the same method. You can just spray them for a quicker result.
Despite closeness, the mirror on our fireplace seems amazing. I always have this doubt with DIY projects because sometimes their imperfections are too obvious. But, I must admit that this DIY project was completely successful!!!

31 Gorgeous Homemade Candle Ideas You're Going to Want to Try
31 Update Ideas To Make Your Kitchen Look Fabulous
15 Unbelievable Ways People Paint Their Walls
30 Neat Ideas To Upgrade Your Backyard
Cuddling Up At Home With A Bottle Of Wine? Then Try These Projects!
16 Floating Shelves That Will Stun Guests
Get Ready For The Baseball Season With These Great Projects
16 Stunning Sign Ideas You Can Make for Your Home
Valentine's Day Is Getting Closer! Get Ready With These Lovely Ideas
Copy One Of These Lovely Lattice Ideas For Your Home
18 Stunning Backsplash Ideas You Do Not Want To Miss!
24 Update Ideas To Make Your Kitchen Look Fabulous
21 Small Things You Can Do to Beautify Your Home This Weekend
Joanna _ ARTbyJWP

• Carol Cole

You did a great job. I love the mirror.

• Debi

I tried to make a sunburst wall piece using the wood skewers and two metal hoops, one 12 inch and the other 6 inch. I had seen this on Pinterest or YouTube but could not find again for directions. Anyway the whole piece was spray painted gold and it was stunning. Well I went to put this together and I could not find anything to get the sticks to stick to the hoops. I tried hot glue, superglue, gorilla glue, you name it, but it was a fail. I have no idea how they accomlished this. But this DIY looks doable. TYFS.