Raised Stencil With Bondo!

I started playing around with raised bondo stencils because I dont care for wood appliques. I want a more authentic raised detail and something that wont come off over time.
raised stencil with bondo, crafts, painted furniture
I first tape the stencil to the surface.
I mix up my bondo (which can be bought at any Auto part store) with the hardener. Each can comes with a small tube.
Once it's mixed well, you have to work quickly. Start from the outside and work your way in. Being very careful not to lift the stencil.
Practice on sample boards like this to get a feel for when you should lift the stencil. Wait to long and it sticks to the stencil. It's all trial and error.
Lift straight up...
Before the bondo sets, I use a razor to remove the edges.
Sand with a fine sanding block to the as smooth as you like.
Painted and sealed!
Texture love!
Now I know many use other products but I've tried them and none can hold up like bondo. I love the look it gives.
Here's another bondo raised stencil.
Check out my work on FB: Rehab to Fab. Click the link below.
Stephanie  Coon/Rehab to Fab

• Cri9179558

I have done this a few times using drywall mud. I cheated with the stencil by using needle and thread secured to the stencil to lift it. I have also made faux (mini) brick walls, as legs for a pallet desk I made, and am thinking of using Glaze coat to seal them?
    Yours are beautiful, did use use a piece of wood as the base, and what do you seal it with?

• Barbara

Does anyone know if I can use tile grout with the stencils to get a similar effect? I have almost a full bag left over!

• Girls Build Club

I'm thinking tile grout would work except that if you have the sanded kind it might be a bit more coarse than bondo. Tile grout is very adhesive, so it should stick pretty well to most surfaces... However, if you're putting it on a glossy surface, just make sure to scuff it up with some sandpaper first to make sure it adheres well. I saw a recipe on Pinterest once for making chalk paint with tile grout. So that's another option for all your leftover grout! :) Good luck to you!

• Tobi Wyszomirski

How about using plaster of Paris? I have a lot of it.

• Dee

FAB-A-LICIOUS!!!!!

• Hb

Great idea but , you can do the same thing mixing white glue with premixed drywall compound . A little less toxic .