Mary
Mary
  • Tutorial Team
  • Maple Park, IL

Ordinary to Extraordinary - #SPiTchallenge

$5.00

Take your ordinary clear Christmas balls and turn them into a piece of art!
Here are some plain Christmas balls that I picked up at a garage sale for .10 each
ordinary to extrodinary, crafts, repurposing upcycling
I placed a coat of Mod Podge over the balls
I let them dry over night...yes, that is a hanger hanging on my kitchen light fixture!
I gathered my and syringe...have you ever seen such amazing stain/glaze colors?? They are SPiTabulace! Oh and did you know they smell like jasmine?
After I added my SPiT I took a plastic bag and mashed it slightly around the ball to give it a textured look. I let them dry for a few hours before the final step.
I added a coat of spray laquere for sealing.
The sealant gives it the shiny finish and they turn out beautiful! Awesome for an easy Christmas gift for yourself or others!

www.unicornspit.com

• Sally

Could this be done with acrylic paints and obtain the same affect?

• Sally

I have finally jumped in to give this a try with acrylic paints. I have covered a few balls in mod podge but they dried clear. Is there adifferent type of mod podge I should be using? Thanks in advance!
  • Denise Dome

Did you put the spit on the inside or outside of ball? They are really pretty! I've never used spit before so this looked relatively easy to do. How did you dry them? didn't know if you put them on their top or put the hanger back in them and then hang to dry.
    • Mary

Denise these were done on the outside. Once I applied the SPiT I hung them on the hanger and dried them that way! Let me know if you have any other questions!

• Carrie Hawk

OMG! And to think how much I've paid for the stained glass bulbs hanging in the window.

• Moon

For a glass project, I prefer Pebeo glass paint, which is permanent and can be baked on to the project. I accidentally got some on a mug while doing a project, and figured the dishwasher would take it off because I hadn't cured and baked it, but the heat of the dishwasher baked it on and now I have a mug with permanent purple spots. The reason I bring it up is because I would have concerns that a finish applied to the surface that has to be sealed might not hold up if the project you want to apply it to is for use with water, such as putting fresh flowers in a vase. I would be concerned that the mod podge and stain wouldn't hold up to something that would need to be washed from time to time or might crack off even if it's sealed? I also think that the Pebeo might make the colors more clear, where the mod podge might make the colors less clear when you want a clear, sparkling ornament. Don't get me wrong, I'm a fan of mod podge, really! I just think that Pebeo is a better product for this sort of application. Pebeo is permanent when it's baked, and apparently even when it isn't. Just my 2 cents. http://en.pebeo.com/Creative-leisure/Painting...

• Mary

Hi! thanks for the comment - I have looked into Pebeo before and I honestly can say I am afraid of it with the toxins, warnings, etc. I love Unicorn SPiT because of the no VOC and it's ease of use ... I normally use sealer and my medium on the outside of my vases to make them still usable :) I love using spray lacquer as a wonderful glossy sealer the mod podge was to allow the SPiT to adhere :) Thank you for your comment! Happy Painting!