Upholstering An Antique Chair Part 2 - Redressing It!

Today we are ready to redress this lovely little chair.
Because I am giving this chair a completely new look, I decided to give the wood a coat of MMS Milk Paint in the colour Linen before starting the upholstering. I sanded it smooth and finished it with a coat of clear wax.
To begin upholstering the chair I started with the seat. I wanted my cushion to be attached to the chair so I removed the foam from the original cushion cover and placed it on the seat part of the chair. I added some extra batting to smooth out the shape and create a seamless feel between the cushion and the chair frame.
Next I placed my fabric over the seat and measured it to make sure that the material would cover the sides and front and back . I then cut it. You should have a large square piece at this point.
Place it over the seat and start by cutting out where the arms attach to the seat ...
If you hop over to the blog you will be able to see how to get to this ....

Terry Foster

• Linda Weeks

Were there springs involved? I have a similar piece that looks as if the springs were already removed, so I've been wondering about buying replacement springs... great job!

• Terry Foster

Hello Linda! :-) This chair did not have any springs inside it. It only had jute strapping and foam. I believe at one time it might have had Springs but somebody had upholstered it prior to me and probably replace the springs with foam. Springs are very tricky and take a different level of skill that I haven't yet mastered! Good luck with your chair! I would love to see it when you're finished :-) Smiles!