Plant identification, name this plant

+122
The tall growing plant has been by my porch all summer a garden flag in background, but has never bloomed. Could it be a plant that takes a while to establish itself or just a weed? Does anyone know? It has three leaves tips on each stem.Thanks in advance for any help in IDing this plant! Smiles, Cyndi
q plant identification id name this plant, gardening, plant id, Plant ID
Plant ID
q plant identification id name this plant, gardening, plant id, Name this plant
Name this plant
q plant identification id name this plant, gardening, plant id, What is this plant
What is this plant
q plant identification id name this plant, gardening, plant id, Very tall maybe 4 5 feet tall
Very tall, maybe 4-5 feet tall
  • Janet Pizaro Janet Pizaro on Nov 16, 2015
    It appears to be a maple tree based on the shape of the leaf.
  • Colleen Walpert Colleen Walpert on Nov 16, 2015
    I think it is a maple also. If you want to save it, you should dig it asap since it is growing too close to the house. Plant in a sunny area. Many maples are soft and it may not be worth saving. If it turn yellow/brown in the fall and the branches droop toward the ground, it is probably soft. You can thank a little bird for this tree!
  • Ann Ann on Nov 16, 2015
    In some of the pictures, the leaves are not as lobed as a maple tree. Look in to the possibility that it could be a Rose of Sharon or Althea plant (these can become as large as a small tree.) Because it has grown quickly, I would move it whatever it is.
  • Patty Loveless Patty Loveless on Nov 16, 2015
    Nothing is a weed unless you don't like it! I am not it agreement that is a maple nor a Rose of Sharon. They tend to be single stemmed with new shoots much smaller and slower to establish. The leaves look too large for that. If you like it keep it and if it does not impress next year yank it out. Sorry I can't be more helpful.
  • It is a Rose of Sharon. Rose of Sharon can grow either as a tree or more of a bush. They are invasive and grow extremely fast. I have one that is 7 years old and it is 12 ft tall and about 5' wide and it is a multi stemmed bush. There is probably a Rose of Sharo nearby. The seeds float and reseed anywhere and everywhere. Turning yellow in fall is what Rose of Sharons do too plus the leaves have the same lobed pattern.
  • Arlene Fitzpatrick Arlene Fitzpatrick on Nov 16, 2015
    I think it is a Hardy Hibescus - in which case it need LOTS of sun. If that is what it is, it will give up hugh white, pink or red flowers that look like hollyhocks on steroids.
    • Nancy Russell Nancy Russell on Jul 06, 2017
      That's what I hope it is. I planted one last year and every one said it would not come back. When it wen dormant I thought it was dead. This summer the dead limbs started putting out leaves just like the new one I bought. It is huge now. I had it dug up and planted in a large pot so I can take it with me when I move. We shall see what it does.

• Sue Sanders Sue Sanders on Nov 16, 2015
    If this is a Rose of Sharon it will grow fast. It has beautiful blooms. I have the colors pink and white and it blooms most of summer. I trim the branches to make it keep branching as this makes it fuller and this will produce many blooms.
  • Susan Susan on Nov 16, 2015
    Looks like a Cottonwood Tree to me.
  • Cyndi Neumann Cyndi Neumann on Nov 16, 2015
    Thanks everyone for such FAST Answers! I very much appreciate them! Smiles, Cyndi
      @Cyndi Neumann So what do you think it is? Just curious since everyone basically has the same opinion. The fact that this did not flower I think rules out Rose-of -Sharon of which is in the Hibiscus family but the leaves are a lot smaller. There are however perennial Hibiscus that have a leaf very similar but again it would have flowered. So Please give your feed back.
    Well, I looked on Google from the answers here, It really looks like the Rose of Sharon but has not bloomed. The leaf texture looked identical! Not a maple, we have those all over the forest and not veined correct.And cottonwood, I really doubt, not such a heart shaped leaf. Rose of Sharon, Althea ( dave's garden and google )Hibiscus syriacus - all same plant I think this is it! I live in a forest so not sure how it got there other than by birds nearby. I do take native clippings but not of this. Thanks again! Smile, Cyndi
      @Cyndi Neumann The plant is not rose of sharon,the leaf structure is of a maple type. There are hibiscus that have that leaf however she stated there was no flowers.that is the key to the answer.
  • JoAnn Dibeler JoAnn Dibeler on Nov 17, 2015
    The woodiness of the stalks seems to indicate a sapling of some sort of tree, but one that has multiple trunks. I thought Rose of Sharon also but agree with the other opinions on that. Could be a foliage shrub. The leaves just look so familiar. They are turning yellow, that could be a hint. Hang onto it and see what it does next year.
  • Cyndi Neumann Cyndi Neumann on Nov 17, 2015
    I posted last night I thought this plant might be a"Rose of Sharon" from your repliesbut now I see it also growing in a succulent container I had brought inside forthe winter. Now, I am just not sure what it is, maybe just a native plantgrowing in this area of western North Carolina. I will continue to look aroundmy yard, I can't believe I did not notice this when I brought it inside. Theleaves sure do look the same! They are soft, not like a Maple or tree like plant growingfrom a clump as it the larger plant I posted earlier. I am not going to store it inside for thewinter and will just see what happens next year with the larger one I will leave alone for now. I will put a markerby it as I do with my Plant ID'ed and followed by a ? mark. I again Thank you for all of your answers! Blessings, Cyndi
  • Barbara Barbara on Nov 17, 2015
    Kind of reminds me of my Mexican sunflower that took a few years to bloom. The leaf looks similar.
  • Jo Mercer Jo Mercer on Nov 17, 2015
    Rose of Sharon, Hibiscus syriacus. They seed prolifically and pop up everywhere--a rather bothersome invasive plant. It may to too young to bloom right now. Also, if it doesn't get enough sun it won't bloom well.
  • Paula McCarthy Paula McCarthy on Nov 17, 2015
    If it is a hibiscus hybrid it may take up to 5 years to bloom - mine did. It grew until it reached a height of about 6' feet and almost 4 feet wide and then one summer it burst into the most beautiful 6" diameter white flower with a ruby throat. I admit your leaf looks very much like that plant. A Rose of Sharon (some people call the hybrid hibiscus a Rose of Sharon but it is NOT a Rose of Sharon, the hibiscus' hybrid flower is much different from a Rose of Sharon, which has a 3" diameter bloom of ruffled petals and is usually a dark magenta color. Rose of Sharon also has a smaller, more compact and darker green leaf than what this appears. However it is hard to tell what the size actually is. A true Rose of Sharon has stems which grow in a manner much like a fan, from the ground up, the hybrid Hibiscus grows more like a spindly tree. Also, it's hard to tell for sure but it looks like there are some yellow leaves at the bottom - this could be because of the seasonal changes or that it needs some plant food - a lack of which could also explain no bloom. Be warned if it is either of these plants they can get very large - my Rose of Sharon is about 12 feet tall and 6 feet wide. It blooms profusely in July. My Hibiscus hybrid blooms in late June, through July and sometimes gets a second bloom in September depending on weather.
  • Definitely Rose of Sharon or althea. They can propagate everywhere. I consider them a pain.
  • Rosanne Rosanne on Nov 18, 2015
    It looks like hibiscus
  • Judy Judy on Nov 21, 2015
    Rose of Sharon....will take a couple years before it blooms....in the spring it takes longer to get leaves so don't think it is dead. Is pretty in flower...I have 3 different colours. Bush will grow about 7ft high
  • Suzette Trimmer Suzette Trimmer on Nov 21, 2015
    Everyone above is spot on it is a ROSE OF SHARON. This question has been answered.
  • Peggy Rickard Peggy Rickard on Nov 24, 2015
    It does look like the Rose of Sharon or Althea.
  • David Ogden David Ogden on Nov 25, 2015
    It is definitely a Roes of Shoran
  • Teo Teo on Nov 26, 2015
    Sunt de acord cu JUDY este Rose de Sharon,flori superbe.
  • Sarah A. Victory Sarah A. Victory on Nov 28, 2015
    I love Rose of Sharon. I have several Blue ones now but I have had several other colors in the past. They are reliable consistent bloomers for your garden, however I have had sprouts from the dropping seeds.
  • Sandra Sandra on Nov 28, 2015
    I used to have a white Rose of Sharon with a red center. I got it because my mother loved them. I had it when I lived in Michigan and it bloomed all summer. I wish I had that plant. I live in Florida but not sure it would work here. I believe it's a relative to the hibiscus, so possibly they would work here's.
  • Cat1786735 Cat1786735 on Nov 29, 2015
    Yes, it's a Rose of Sharon.
  • Cyndi Neumann Cyndi Neumann on Nov 29, 2015
    Thank you everyone for all of your answers! I think I will just leave it alone this winter and see what happens next spring. It never bloomed last summer. I should say the pots behind this large plant on the balcony porch is just water bowls for my dogs, they prefer bowls with stones in them to drink from and we have beautiful stones here when wet are very colorful. Also, the pink plant is my Christmas Cactus in full bloom I will post a photo of it also. Thanks again, Smiles, Cyndi
  • Tcs Tcs on Nov 29, 2015
    Your plants are beautiful but I wouldn't hold my breath on that other one. It's a tree. Some kind of oak. They grow slowly. We've had them come up in several places where there is fertile soil. Usually just cut them back and pull up the roots unless you wanted to dig it up and plant it somewhere else.
  • Iberkeley Iberkeley on Nov 29, 2015
    It's part of the hibiscus family and it probably does well in Florida, although it likes fertile soil. You may have to amend in southern FL where the soil is rather poor.
  • Sheri L. Putnam-Cline Sheri L. Putnam-Cline on Dec 03, 2015
    Reminds me of a European Black Current (Ribes nigrum), maybe the "Ben Lair". Sweeden has large growing programs. I'm growing Jostaberries, a cross of black current and gooseberry. They are breeding barbless. Link:http://archive.northsearegion.eu/files/repository/20140106150624_SE-Enclosure21.pdf
  • Tommi L. Perkins Tommi L. Perkins on Dec 16, 2015
    Looks like a Rose of Sharon to me. Dig it up and put it in a more spacious location. Sun loving, it will get big-6 to 8 feet. Will not bloom without sun.
  • Beauam Beauam on Dec 22, 2015
    It looks like an Abutilon. these can have flowers ranging from a deep pink through oranges to yellow. Very pretty shrub. just be patient.
  • Suzie Henderson Suzie Henderson on Dec 25, 2015
    "Rose of Sharon" and "member of the Hibiscus Family" are on the right track. Rose of Sharon IS a member of the hibiscus family. My "sweetie", a landscaper, agrees it is among the hibiscus family but can't be specific. Hope this helps/
  • Joy Joy on Dec 25, 2015
    Maybe a confederate rose
  • Martha Martha on Dec 28, 2015
    I,m pretty sure it is a rose of Sharon. If this is its first year that,s why it hasn't bloomed yet. Not sure how long it takes them to mature enough to bloom. It does need sun like Tommi P said.
  • Cyndi Neumann Cyndi Neumann on Jan 01, 2016
    Thanks to EVERYONE for replying to my question here, I have learned so much with Googling all of your answers and it could be any of them, it looks like so many of them. Will watch and see, it has nothing much left on it right now since it turned cold, Thanks you again SO very Much! All answers are so much appreciated! Blessings, Cyndi
  • Toni Toni on Jan 03, 2016
    A confederate rose
  • Rjp Rjp on Jan 03, 2016
    Rose of sharon or vine maple
  • Allen Kang Allen Kang on Jan 11, 2016
    It's look like the Rose of Sharon.
  • Linda Linda on Jan 24, 2016
    At first I thought it was from the Hibiscus family, then found the following: Rose of Sharon (Hibiscus syriacus) and Chinese hibiscus (Hibiscus rosa-sinensis) are cousins. Both are members of the mallow family, a large group of several hundred different plant species. While the flowers of rose of Sharon and Chinese hibiscus look similar, these plants are from different climates; one is temperate and the other tropical. So they thrive in different places.
  • Carmen Evans Carmen Evans on Jan 25, 2016
    Yes looks like Rose of Sharon if so it grows rather large and needs a prune at times or if hibiscus this also grows into a larger type shrub,so don't grow either one close to your verandah or you'll be digging it back out in no time.
  • Tommi L. Perkins Tommi L. Perkins on Jan 25, 2016
    Rose of Sharon. It is growing way too close to your house/deck and will eventually cause damage to the structures. Cut it out now, dig root out. If you wait it will be a real job and a pain to take out.